Safety Questions from Newbie

Old 07-13-05, 04:08 PM
LEarnest
Visiting Guest
Question Safety Questions from Newbie

HI All,
I begin apprenticing with an experienced welder tomorrow and I am so excited to learn everything! Since I am jumping in with both feet and afraid that I may not know the right questions to ask, I am wondering what I need to be aware of in regards to potential hazards. I read where I need a darker eye shield if I see blue spots....I guess I'm asking if there are any other "little" clues like that I need to know.
Thanks~

Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-05, 11:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
LEarnest, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
Most welders starting out use a #11 lens. I don't know about the blue spots. I used an 11 for years but as the eyes got older I lowered the darkness to see the material I was welding. Cheaters work for making the suface bigger but not for seeing it to start with. If you will be welding, you will probably be cleaning welds. ALWAYS wear safety gl***es. A piece of flux on the eye is something you'll remember for a long time. If you are welding in a light colored room, you may want to hang a rag over the back of your head. Reflected flash burns to the eyes happen especially in rooms with white walls. You will also notice it in the lense of your hood. Cutting and welding go together. Don't be "Macho" and cut those small pieces of metal without using the cutting gl***es. The glare may not bother you today, but down the road it all mounts up. As far as asking questions, ask anything you do not understand. Pick your journeymans mind. Most will tell you anything you want to know. Makes them feel important too. Good luck.
You need your eyes to weld. Protect them while doing any type of work.

Old 07-14-05, 04:14 AM
LEarnest
Visiting Guest
Thank you for the advice. I am glad to have found this forum.
Laura

Old 07-14-05, 05:25 PM
Hazards include - Sparks (from grinding) and spatter (from welding/cutting) - eye protection, foot protection and pants over the boots (no hotfoot). Bill-to-back cap on the head.

UV exposure and arc flash/reflection - in addition to full clothing, protect the front of the neck above the collar and below the helmet - avoid that triangular-shaped arc burn

Most everything gets hot and looks cool when it's not - KNOW where that bucket of water is located. If something starts smoking or burning, make sure it's not YOU. Be on the lookout for scrap or trash flaming. Figure out how you would suppress the fire before it occurs.

Watch out for carelessness or stupidity - OA hoses where they might melt or be cut, sharp objects or things to trip over, heavy objects that are not adequately supported/braced/clamped. Damaged equipment or leaking flammables.

Old 07-14-05, 09:13 PM
LEarnest
Visiting Guest
Water? I never even noticed a bucket of water today so you can bet I'll be looking for it tomorrow!
Thanks for all the advice~

Old 07-15-05, 09:39 AM
The water bucket is to plunge your hand or foot in after picking up a part that's too hot or dropping a piece of slag where it does not belong on your body.
Most welding involves electricity, so keep it away from that.