Used Stick Welder Purchase

Old 07-26-05, 04:21 PM
mikeinreno
Visiting Guest
Exclamation Used Stick Welder Purchase

I am about to purchase an old (10-20 yrs) Stick welder from private party. I am new to welding but have some stick welding experience. My problem is, I not sure what to look for in an older welder. I would image that I would check for signs of wear not sure what else. It is 220 and red (should be a lincoln). I am going to check it out tonight. If you have any tips I would be greatful. Thank you.

Old 07-26-05, 05:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If possible, take along your welding equipment as well as a piece of steel plate and a few pounds of 6011 and 6013. If you have some 3/32 and 5/32 as well as 1/8 electrode it would be helpful.

Strike an arc and run a short bead on the plate with each electrode at each amperage in the range for the particular electrode size and type. Since the machine probably has 5-amp increments or larger, decide ahead of time what settings you want to use.

Likely the machine has been used at one or two settings with a single size and type of rod, so the contacts there may be a bit more worn.

Check Ebay for similar type machines for price ranges. Be sure that you can get replacement parts for the unit to avoid a very expensive boat anchor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: