Bernzomatic MAPP + Oxygen Rig to heat steel tube

Old 07-28-05, 11:24 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bernzomatic MAPP + Oxygen Rig to heat steel tube

I need to heat an old snow blower auger to get it off the shaft. I'm told it will need to be a "dull cherry red" which is almost 1500 degrees F (plain ole red is somewhere 750-950).
It's about 12" long and fits over a 1" solid shaft.

Bernzomatic has a kit for $50 with a small MAPP gas and Oxygen tank included. Some of my friends think this will be more than adequate to do what I need to do.

Others say "no way" and think I should be buying an oxy-propane or oxy-acetylene rig - which will be more like $300.

Will the MAPP/Oxy kit suffice?

Last edited by garandman; 07-28-05 at 11:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-05, 12:15 PM
I don't think it will do the job. I would find a muffler shop that was slow on business and see what they would charge to heat it for you with their torch. Another option is renting an oxy/acetylene set-up. If you decide to rent, tell them what you are doing so they give you a large heating tip rather than a cutting tip. Good luck with your project.

Old 07-28-05, 12:25 PM
G
Thanks, I just got a reply on another forum from a fellow who had the exact same problem (very common with old Ariens Sno Thros) and used the MAPP/Oxy rig to get it off, so I'll give it a try.

Good tip about the muffler shop, thanks.

Old 07-28-05, 12:37 PM
G
You may need 3 oxy bottles, I think they last about 10-15 min.

Old 07-28-05, 02:46 PM
Since you are not doing welding, a propane rig would work well.

I'm not talking about a 16 oz. bottle with a brass torch on it. More like a 20# propane bottle and an air-propane torch with a hose. Like this:
http://www.smithequipment.com/products/hheet/hheetp.htm

However, if you are only going to take it off once and put it back on once, that may be significant expense for the job.

Old 08-01-05, 02:16 PM
G
I sent an email to Smith's to see if there's a kit that can be ordered set up to do this.

I tried a straight MAPP gas torch and it will get a 2" section or so to a dull red, but not the whole shaft.

Old 08-01-05, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 35 Posts
garandman,

If you were only able to heat a 2" section of shaft your technique may be wrong.
Your shaft is only 12" long and the mapp could do it.
You need to play the heat the entire length of the shaft continually.
It has to be slow enough to allow the temp to rise but not too slow that the opposite end cools too quickly.

I can't say for sure if it would heat the whole shaft to cherry red but I know the hand mapp torch I have would do better than 2".
Also, you will no doubt have to use some type of pulling or pushing technique as the shaft isn't likely going to just fall out.

Old 08-01-05, 07:22 PM
G
Originally Posted by GregH
garandman,

If you were only able to heat a 2" section of shaft your technique may be wrong.
Your shaft is only 12" long and the mapp could do it.
You need to play the heat the entire length of the shaft continually.
It has to be slow enough to allow the temp to rise but not too slow that the opposite end cools too quickly.

I can't say for sure if it would heat the whole shaft to cherry red but I know the hand mapp torch I have would do better than 2".
I can say for sure, it won't heat the whole shaft red!

I have a gear puller that I tried, another larger one yet to try, and a 6 ton bottle jack that I made a set of brackets for to push the shaft out.

McMaster Carr has a propane turbo torch that will put out 57,000 BTU's, at least double this one, so I may buy something like that.

Old 08-05-05, 01:17 PM
Eddiebx
Visiting Guest
yeah i had that same torch outfit, the oxy tank runs out way to fast, and at 7-8 bucks a can, it adds up fast! needless to say i threw it out to keep myself from wasting anymore $ on oxy tanks

Old 08-05-05, 03:05 PM
T
Hello, I wouldn't worry about reaching a cherry red. By that time you will be getting the shaft heated up as well, which would kind of defeat the purpose.I would just put a steady pressure on it with your homemade puller and play the heat over the entire tube as Greg alluded to..... One thing I can say for sure is to put some Never-seez on the shaft before you assemble it again, then next time it should come off easier. Just my 2 cents worth.