please help need info on welder

Old 08-22-05, 09:23 PM
1955pontiac
Visiting Guest
please help need info on welder

[COLOR=Black]hello i just bought a arc 100 amp stick welder and the plug to plug it in is a 220 plug and the only plug i got at my house is on my generator and it is a 240v plug in so i was wondering if there is any way i can buy an adapter so it will fit. or any other way i can make it so the welder works because it is a 220 plug and i only got a 240 plug in please help please.[/COLOR]

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-05, 10:14 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
At 220V AC, there are two kinds of plugs/receptacles:

Plugs/receptacles for dryers/ranges/etc.

Plugs/receptacles for welders.

They are NOT interchangeable. The plug for one will NOT fit the receptacle for the other. The VOLTAGE for both is the same. The INPUT amperage rating for the welder should not exceed the circuit breaker rating for the circuit used. That value is NOT 100 amps.

A 100-amp welder (nominally 25 volts) will typically be used near its maximum rating, even with 3/32 electrodes, depending on which one you select.
I recommend that you engage an electrician to evaluate the situation since I would not want to provide recommendations that might be unsafe.

If you have an electric dryer receptacle available, get the electrician to tell you how to safely convert it for use it for the welder. You did not provide any specifications for the generator, so I question whether it will be adequate for what you want to do.

Last edited by IBM5081; 08-23-05 at 10:15 AM. Reason: clarify welder amperage
Old 08-25-05, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 19 Posts
What you are asking is not clear.

You need a circuit for this welder that matches its specs which we have not been given.
We need to know what the tag on the unit says as far as what its electrical requirements are.
Also, how does this generator fit into the scheme of things?
Do you want to run the welder off house current or the generator?