Oxy Acetylene Welding

Old 09-13-05, 08:28 AM
Rtrarian
Visiting Guest
Oxy Acetylene Welding

I am needless to say a novice at welding. I did some welding many years ago but need some advice and practice. I have a tiller and the shaft broke where the bolt goes throught the shaft to connect the tine. The shaft is made from a very hard metal and the tine is lighter metal. I have tried to weld to connect but in just came loose. It possibly was the welding rod since I did not have a clue what to use. I did grind and clean very well. Can you give me some advise.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-05, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 19 Posts
Rtrarian,

I believe I know what you are trying to do.
It likely broke because the shear pin was replaced with a bolt that placed too much stress on the shaft.
In order to repair this you would need to totally weld the shaft through its entire thickness and redrill the hole, preferrably in another location
To do this you would need a good drill press, vice, good eye and a way of grinding the shaft.

If you are only working with an oxyacetylene rig and little experience you would do well to replace the shaft.

Old 09-14-05, 09:17 AM
Rtrarian
Visiting Guest
I always like to try and find a way to fix something as we all do. It is part of the fun but your suggestion to replace the shaft is probably the most cost affective answer in the long run. Thank you for the push in that direction.

Old 09-14-05, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 19 Posts
Rtrarian,

I too will go the distance to diy but sometimes there is a limit.
Where your shaft broke is the weakest link in the whole snowblower drivetrain.
The next level of diy on this would be to remove the shaft to see if there is anything special about it.
I would suggest you first price it out and if it's very expensive you could research the option of having a machine shop mill the flats or keyways and drill the hole.
I have in a pinch been able to by hand grind an acceptable flat and drill a shaft but keyways are a real pain without a milling machine.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Oh ya, make sure you get a fistfull of shear pins when it's fixed.