Mig vs. Flux coated Welding for Auto panels

Old 10-04-05, 06:40 PM
hondadan
Visiting Guest
Mig vs. Flux coated Welding for Auto panels

I am a good arc welder for many years. I need to do panel repair on auto sheet metal. Speed (duty cycle) and cost of wire is not an issue. Please list pros and cons of each. This will be low usage, weld appearance is not an issue as much as no burn-throughs. I will be keeping my Lincoln 225 so thicker material is not an issue either.

thanks

dan

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-05, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 19 Posts
dan,

If you are welding indoors then mig is the best for thinner material and is less prone to burn through than flux cored wire.
I weld automotive sheet metal outdoors and use flux core with a Co2 shield.

The thinner the wire the less burn through you will get.

Old 10-04-05, 09:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I weld everything under the sun, and for sheet metal, .023 solid wire with C25 argon mix is the best way to go. CO2 will work ALMOST as well, down to 22-ga, but the argon mix runs a little cooler for the thin stuff.

Flux-cored will work, too, if you're GOOD, but why stack the odds against you? Besides, the wire is way more expensive anyway, so you might as well buy a bottle of gas.

The good news is, even the cheapest of the good MIGs has plenty of power for sheet metal. I'd recommend the Hobart Handler 140 or the Millermatic 135. The Hobart will be cheaper and simpler to operate and was recently updated to have a really good low end for sheetmetal working. Both will easily weld down to 24-ga.

For the Hobart, try www.toolking.com for good deals. You'll have to get the gas locally, though you can buy empty bottles online, though you'll probably get better deals if you buy it the same time as the gas.