Which Direction

Old 12-01-05, 06:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Which Direction

I just today purchased Lincoln SP 175 Mig and am learning how to use it. I am a competent stick welder but this is my first wire feed welder. My only question for now is direction of weld. I am right handed and am used to going from left to right with the stick. I spent about 30 minutes only so far, and was going in the same direction. The manual suggest the push method, right to left fo right handed welders. I got very good beads with the left to right direction. I will have more time tomorrow to play with my new toy but I would like to hear more about to push method. Whats the advantage? After I use this toy for a few days I will post a review on price and results of my new toy. For now I'll just say its a real "sweetie." Stay tuned.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-05, 08:35 PM
GMAW with steel is either a "pull" or a "push". A drag or pull gun technique will give you a bit more penetration and a narrower bead. A push gun technique will give you a bit less penetration, and a wider bead.

If you were welding aluminum with GMAW it has to be a push.

If you are using FCAW is has to be a pull as the slag would contaminate the weld if you used the push technique.

Hope this helps and congrats on the new machine

Old 12-03-05, 01:15 PM
redtoadjim
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by spanishgrass
I just today purchased Lincoln SP 175 Mig and am learning how to use it. I am a competent stick welder but this is my first wire feed welder. My only question for now is direction of weld. I am right handed and am used to going from left to right with the stick. I spent about 30 minutes only so far, and was going in the same direction. The manual suggest the push method, right to left fo right handed welders. I got very good beads with the left to right direction. I will have more time tomorrow to play with my new toy but I would like to hear more about to push method. Whats the advantage? After I use this toy for a few days I will post a review on price and results of my new toy. For now I'll just say its a real "sweetie." Stay tuned.
Just to chime in - I believe the advandtage of pushing the puddle with the gmaw process is, it's the best way the shielding gas is utilized. By having the gun pointed in the direction of travel, the gas is constantly keeping the puddle free from oxygen. Keeping a clean zone, so to speak. I also agree with metalfab about the direction of travel using inner shield wire/fluxcore.
If you don't already know, the "ig" in Mig and Tig stands for inert gas.
I've always been a little skeptical of the penetration of mig welding, in particular for fillet welds. Butt joints, with either a backing strip or back-gouging I can fully agree with. Does anyone else have an opinion on fillet welds?....if you would use it in a structural scenario or not?

Old 12-03-05, 02:57 PM
Your opening your Christmas gifts early.

Just some notes.

Some Mig welders can do different modes of Metal Transfer.
Short circuiting.
Globular.
Spray.

The link will help explain some.

http://www.teeps.com/welding.pdf

I'm more of a hobbyist with welding, started with gas and stick welding.
Here's something you may want to try on sheet metal.
I set the wire feed so slow that a ball would form on the end of the wire and drip every 1/2 second onto a piece of sheet metal I was practicing with.
It was equal to gas welding sheet metal.

Another words you don't always set your machine by sound.

Old 12-03-05, 04:23 PM
Redtoadjim,
I have never thought of Mig as a structural welding process. Then again, I am a pipe welder so we don't use Mig. Where I live though, we have American Railcar Industries. They build railroad cars and they are strictly Mig welded. Guess Mig CAN produce structural strength but I still stay back quite a ways when I am the first car at a rail crossing. LOL.