Inexpensive welding table

Old 12-12-05, 03:08 PM
Yves514
Visiting Guest
Inexpensive welding table

Hello Everyone,

I'm looking for ideas of what to use (materials) to build an inexpensive welding table. Space is limited so I don't want a huge table. I'd want something perhaps 3'x4' that could double as a shop/assembly table or something when I'm not welding. Welder is on a cart.

To be honest with you, I'm mainly looking for ideas of tops to use. 1/4"+ sheet metal is expensive. I don't really feel like spending $300+ for the top of my table. Right now I use a 3/4" plywood table I made. Works fine but I'm getting tired of the burning table. LOL Also, it would be nice to just clamp the ground down on the table. Any ideas or pictures on the net for ideas?

Thanks.

Old 12-12-05, 03:39 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Below is a photo of mine, its a 4'x3'x1/2" top with 2"x2" HSS. Of course its overkill for most things but, it doesn't move easily and you can certainly use thinner materials. For the top I'd personally get no less than 3/16" or 1/4" thick. Abuse (hammering, etc.), heat (from welding or cutting torches), grinding off jigs, etc could/would warp or damage a thin surface. http://www.pbase.com/ajuett/image/43266736.jpg

Last edited by metalfab; 12-12-05 at 03:59 PM.
Old 12-12-05, 04:16 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I have used a strip of 1/4" that is 12"x48" for several years. I clamp the joint to the table and let everything else hang off, then clamp the next joint after that one is sufficiently joined. Vise hangs off one end, 8" grinder is on the opposite end. Works for me.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: