Metal Cutting Bandsaw from Harbor Frieght

Old 12-13-05, 02:17 PM
scooter
Visiting Guest
Metal Cutting Bandsaw from Harbor Frieght

I've come across what looks like a pretty good deal on a metal cutting bandsaw at Harbor Frieght. Only problem is that for the most part the items they carry are crappy quality. IMHO. Anyone own or used one of these units??

Look at it here:http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=37151

I usually cut my metal with a chopsaw (takes forever) or my reciprocal saw (hard to cut straight), so I've been thinking that a metal cutting bandsaw might be the way to go. One guy I spoke to said he'd never cut metal with a bandsaw because they are inherently dangerous. What??? So is a lawnmower... am I missing something?? And what about a handheld bandsaw? Never even knew they existed until this week. Pro's and con's on using one of those too.

Hey thanks everyone!! This is a great forum, just came across it a few days ago. I'm a greenie hobby welder and have a Miller Thunderbolt XL 225/115.

Old 12-14-05, 10:56 AM
Yves514
Visiting Guest
I've had that one. Nice little unit for the price. Compact and easy to move around. Not the fastest thing to cut large pieces of steel but it will do the job just fine. It shuts off when it's done cutting.

I would still have that one but I got an opportunity to upgrade to this one:

BandSaw

I don't know if H.F. carries it but they must. It's a little bit more money but much better product. However, it's bigger and heavier and you'll need to either make or buy a tray with wheels to move it easily.

Old 12-14-05, 11:43 AM
scooter
Visiting Guest
Hey Yves514 thanks for the reply, I'm glad to hear that it's a pretty good saw (of course not quite as good as yours though). I think I'll go pick one up, they are on sale for $169 until the end of the week.

Old 12-14-05, 02:17 PM
Yves514
Visiting Guest
It beats having to cut steel with a hacksaw!!!

You might also consider purchasing some higher grade blades. I usually buy some for aluminum and some for steel. The one that comes with it is rather cheap and doesn't last very long.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: