copper wall fountain

Old 01-05-06, 11:59 PM
gbarron1
Visiting Guest
copper wall fountain

I am making a wall fountain and I want to use copper for the reservoir and frame. Can someone please tell me what ga I need. The reservoir will need to be fairly sturdy to hold the water. Also, any suggestions on how to join the copper?
Thanks

Old 01-06-06, 07:04 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
hi
check local nursery they have copper flower box that workd real nice
as to solder used tourch or soldering iron with heavy wattage to melt the solder, i prefered tourch

good luck

Old 01-06-06, 10:51 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I never did much w/copper so I don't know much about gage sizes for it. But if you're serious, and you're holding a lot of water, you have to do some calculations to figure out the load stresses. You may even need a support frame around the copper.

I agree w/pgtek - a good adjustable torch is the way to go.

Good luck!

Old 01-14-06, 07:13 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,707 Upvotes on 1,525 Posts
You did not give much information about what you are building so it is hard to guess what you will need. Copper can be purchased in almost any form just like other metals. I think copper is most commonly found in sheet/roll form in either 16 oz or 20 oz per square foot and is used for roofing, gutters & downspouts. It usually comes in the dead soft state but it work hardens and anneals easily so you can do anything you can imagine.

Copper can be soldered, welded, riveted... so the choice is up to you. I like the look of rivets, but you have to use a sealant in the joints to make it waterproof. Soldering is probably the most common but the heat can change the color of the metal (sometimes a benefit). I'm not sure copper welds well enough to make a waterproof seam.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: