6011 rod

Old 02-08-06, 05:18 PM
R
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6011 rod

I'm a fairly experienced welder and can do any process(MIG.TIG, Stick, O/A).
But i can't get a 6011 rod to work well for me, I'll stick it all day before i'll get a continous arc. I can use any other rod (6013, 7014, 7018, etc.) with no problem. Why do i have trouble with this 6011 rod?

Old 02-08-06, 07:04 PM
B
it is a digging rod..unlike the other rods you mentioned that are really a drag rod...i mean you lay them on the steel and steer them..6011 sigs in and will stick because it is actually burrying itself in the metal and smothering out...learn to whip it a little or turn your heat up.. it requires a little more attention to use than those drag rods...it is a quick freeze rod..it hardens faster than 70xx rods you can use most other rods this one just takes a little practice...it is an excellant rod for digging your first pass into rusty material

Old 02-08-06, 09:13 PM
Billie_Boy has it right - it will run smoother in the upper half of the range. For 1/8" size, I typically run between 100-120 amps DCEP. I expect it to dig and it does freeze back to a solid state more rapidly.
If I don't want the digging penetration, I switch over to 6013 or 7014 which are contact rods.

Old 02-08-06, 09:55 PM
G
What's the name and model number of the welder your trying to use this rod on ?
AC or DC
220 volt machine ?
Do you have HI and Low tap on the machine ?

Old 02-09-06, 02:18 PM
R
I run a lincoln ac225.

Old 02-10-06, 05:39 PM
B
6011 should burn in either ac or dc...your machine is fine
in my opinion (that aint much)

Old 02-15-06, 09:59 AM
G
I had similar problems trying to keep the arc going with the 6011 rod on a small welder so I gave up.
I picked up a second welder. Century AC/DC with HI and LOW jack

The 6011 rod requires a higher output voltage to keep the arc going.
If any of your cable connections are weak that will reduce the voltage. Check your cables.

You may need to use a smaller diameter rod at a higher current.
The larger diameter rod the more current will flow but the voltage also goes down.
With a smaller diameter rod less current flows and the voltage goes up.

An others words the smaller rod puts less load on the machine so the voltage across the rod will be higher.
Mainly the welders that only use transformers, Buzz boxes.
If the buzz boxes were true CC machines the current would stay the same regardless the size of the rod.

This is some information that came with my welder. I haven't tried the 6011 with this welder.
-----------------------------------------
ALTERNATING CURRENT WELDING.This kind of welding current is ideal for Heavy Plate (flat position) welding.
Most ac welding operations will be performed using the LOW AMPERAGE jack. This output tap, because it has a higher open circuit voltage (OCV), provides a deep penetrating arc for welding rusty or thicker metals.
American Welding Society (AWS) rated rods 6011 and 7018 type are formulated to work well with the higher OCV of the LOW AMPERAGE jack.
The HIGH AMPERAGE jack is better suited for welding thinner pieces because the OCV at this tap is much lower. This tap delivers a shallow penetrating arc and smooth, non-stick welding, preferred for welding thinner metals. AWS rated 6013 and 7014 type rods work well at this tap, since they do not require a vary high open circuit voltage to start.
LOW/180 amp. Jack = Approx. 71.6 OCV
HIGH/230 amp. Jack = Approx. 44.7 OCV

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: