New guy with a question

Old 02-14-06, 05:00 PM
V
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New guy with a question

Hopefully this will be simple enough, i read the stickies and tried to search but your search function is a bit...lacking

Basically I was wondering how hard it is to weld aluminum with a stick welder. I've never attempted it before, and i am definately just a beginner. Its just a speaker that had the basket broke, so its not like it really matters if i screw up, but i'd like some advice before i give it a go. I found aluminum rods online but maybe you all could recommend some you have experience with?

Thanks, any tips are greatly appreciated

Old 02-14-06, 05:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vladd, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
If the basket is thin metal, it will be hard to do with stick. A tig or mig would do a better job. If you want to try it though, I would suggest getting a piece of copper or brass and start the arc on that. Then run off onto the basket and don't stay there long. Just let the metal and rod flow together and stop. Clean it up and if needed, hit it again. I already know it won't be pretty but thats what they make grinders for. Good luck.

Old 02-14-06, 05:20 PM
V
Thanks for the reply,

I don't have access to any welders besides a stick. The basket is kind of thick though, not like a thin stamped basket from most speakers (its a subwoofer with a cast basket holding a 30lb magnet up) Pretty doesn't really matter either ass all of it will be inside the box when mounted anyway.

Anyway thanks for the tip, if i do attempt it i'll take pics and show how it turns out so you all can tell me what to do better next time.

Old 02-14-06, 07:53 PM
M
Have you considered some J-B Weld instead.
Mike

Old 02-14-06, 07:59 PM
V
One part of the basket actually has a part that need to be filled it, where a piece about 1/2" i guess broke off. I know i've built up on other metals but it just seems to far fetched to attempt it on aluminum. Seems like its just going to puddle and melt away

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: