Stainless trouble

Old 02-15-06, 07:58 AM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stainless trouble

I am welding an unknown type of stainless and everytime I try to weld the pieces together I hear a cracking sound before I am even done laying the bead. I am using a Miller Synchrowave. @ 20 cfh, ste to about 115. I can see the weld crack while it is cooling. I have cleaned the piece using a stainless wire brush! What is going on...I have never had this problem before?!!

Old 02-15-06, 09:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Turk88, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
I can't be sure what you are welding metalwise so this is just a guess. Some metals need a pre and post heat to avoid cracking. I did a refinery job a few years back using chromemoly and we had to heat the pipe to 480 degrees before welding and (I believe) 320 after the weld was complete. Only way to know is to find out what type stainless you are welding on. Good luck.

Old 02-16-06, 07:55 AM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stainless help

If you can give us alittle more information we might be able to lead you in the right dirrection. What type of joint are you trying to weld? Type of gas you are using? Is the material magnetic? What wire flavor are you using? Are you welding stainless to stainless or something else? Thickness of material. Is it highly restrained? Good advice already given about pre & post heating.

metweldeng

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: