Welding harmonic balancer to crankshaft

Old 02-27-06, 10:06 AM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welding harmonic balancer to crankshaft

My friend has an old work truck that the harmonic balancer came off of while he was driving. the bolt hole is striped out and the key way is messes up. The engine (350 chevy) just is not worth putting a new crank in with 250 thousand plus miles on it. He wants me to weld it on for him. I have heard of this being done before from some old timers but I am not sure what type of rod to use or if I should put a little preheat to it first. I have welded hardened steel before with stainless rod and had good luck but I don't remember what type of rod I used. I have 316 and 309 rod would one of those work or should I drop down to something like A 304. Any thoughts or ideas on this. Thank in advance Mike.

Old 02-27-06, 10:16 AM
F
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
drill out the crank and install a helicoil. don't weld it.

Old 02-27-06, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts
I agree.
If you weld it the oil seal will melt and then you will have more problems than you started with.

Old 02-27-06, 05:29 PM
M
That was my first thought BUT the key way is no good so it's weld or new crankshaft

Old 02-27-06, 05:35 PM
F
which is bad, the crank or the balancer ? will the keyway still locate the balancer ?

Old 02-27-06, 05:37 PM
M
Balancer is junk yard new. one side of key way on crank is gone

Old 02-27-06, 06:36 PM
F
your gonna get one shot at this so ya gotta get it right.
make sure the balancer is good. no rotten rubber, matches the old one for counterweight location, degree marks match.
while you're there you might replace the front seal and check the timing cover gasket as these will be in no mans land when you're finished.
install the balancer as you normally would after repairing the crank threads and bolting the balancer in place. without the pulleys installed run the motor and check the ignition timing. check for engine vibrations and observe the balancer with a timing light for wobble or out of round condition. when you are sure that you have everything the best it can get remove the crank bolt and washer and weld the balancer with a constant low flow of water behind the balancer onto the crank and also the outside of the balancer. you're protecting the front seal and the rubber ring in the balancer. the crank is likely cast and maybe the balancer too so make your rod selection accordingly. not sure. make your welds in steps to keep everything cool. put the bolt and washer back in with red loktite for insurance and keep the motor under 9000 rpm

Old 03-03-06, 09:44 PM
i know you said its old but if it goes you are looking at more money.give these guys a call,xxxxxxxxx and ask them,they use to have a part they would put in and fix things like this.they are more than just a drag race shop.

Last edited by GregH; 03-04-06 at 05:00 AM. Reason: Advertising not permitted

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: