oxy-propane cutting & welding tips

Old 03-14-06, 01:35 PM
H
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oxy-propane cutting & welding tips

hy! everybody. This newcomer to your forums would like to understand a few things about oxy-propane welding & cutting.Can I use the stock welding tips from the two sets I have. one Victor Jr.one Harris.Second question: I think I need a special cutting tip for my cutting torch , right ? Thanks for any help on this subject.

Old 03-14-06, 01:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
huhey454, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
For cutting, you need a cutting tip. These are usually numbered 000 thru 5 for 1/8" to 4" metal thickness. If you have a welding store near you that handles Victor torches, you may be able to get their book that gives you recommened tips and gas settings for each thickness. Proper setting of the gases will make smoother cuts with less slag to clean off your cuts. Cutting tips have a center hole and a series of holes around it. Welding tips have one hole in the center. Before you install a different brand tip in the torch, check to see if it will fit properly. The bevels on the seating area could be different and cause leakage of gas. Hope this helps.

Old 03-14-06, 07:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I started with oxy-propane after I bought the oxygen tank but not the acetylene tank. You WILL need a propane cutting tip that is recessed in order to keep it lit. Propane burns slower than acetylene. I now have the acetylene tank and don't use that tip any more.
There are fuel hoses for acetylene exclusively and fuel hoses that will accept other fuel gases as well (LP, NG, MAPP, etc.). If you are going to stay with propane, I recommend that you acquire a hose set that works for all fuel gases. I also recommend a flashback arrestor in at least the fuel line.
For cutting, propane warms up a bit slower but works just fine since it's the oxygen that does the cutting. Some scrap yards use NG for cutting since it's so much cheaper than acetylene. Big SS tank of NG next to a large oxygen tank with a very long hose.
I would not weld with propane. I DON'T weld with OA even though I have it. For putting things together, it's electric arc unless it's really thin. Then a 110-volt wirefeed does an excellent job. See
http://www.anvilfire.com/FAQs/gasfacts.htm
regarding propane welding. Propane does an excellent job of heating in a multi-orifice (rosebud) tip and does not have the 1/7 withdrawal limitation of acetylene. Propane is excellent for brazing and forge welding.

Old 03-15-06, 05:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IBM5081,
I missed the word PROPANE. I have not seen that used for oxy related welding /cutting. Working in the refineries up North, we used acetylene and oxygen. Then, to save money, they switched to MAPP gas. Cost more in the long run due to higher prices for the cutting tips at that time (1976) and once a piece of slag got into the tip, it was history.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: