What torch should I buy?

Old 03-15-06, 09:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What torch should I buy?

I have a uni-weld now, its a friends but he lets me use it. Its a beat up peice of junk and want to buy a new one. What brand should I buy? And should I stay with acetaline or go to propane or some other gas? I use the torch for a little bit of everything, cutting, brazing, heating up parts. Would using propane be cheaper or better? or is oxy acet the bets way to go?

Old 03-15-06, 09:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm a fan of Victor torches. Have used them for years and never a problem with parts or service if needed. Victor also makes a less expensive torch and I THINK the name is Uniflow or something similar. I do not know about which gas is cheaper. Guess that could be a local thing. Most the companies I have worked for use oxy/acet set-ups but some members here prefer Propane. Good luck.

Old 03-15-06, 09:29 AM
A big oxygen tank would be nice for me and I can get propane all over. Oxygen and acetalene I have to drive quite far. Should I buy a brand new torch or find a used one? I seen some on ebay that looked nice. I would like a good one so if I can get a good used one I would rather have it then buying a brand new cheap peice of junk.

Old 03-15-06, 10:15 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 697 Likes on 615 Posts
I also have a Victor - no complaints. Not so with cheap outfit it replaced. I bought mine 15 yrs ago and it wasn't all that expensive - don't know the price today. You definetly need to use the type of gas that you can get readily. I have Linde tanks [bought in fla], The only linde dealer here in e.tn. closed up shop several years ago. Now I have to either buy new bottles or travel 100 miles to exchange my bottles

Old 03-15-06, 10:23 AM
You will need oxygen no matter what other gas you use for heat. On the standard oxy/acet set-up, you will use 2 oxygen for every one bottle of acetylene even though the bottles are almost twice as big. I would not buy a torch from online from a private owner. I bought one Victor from a flea market but I knew my company would fix it if bad. It was, and had almost every part that was replaceable, replaced. You may find a rebuilt one at a welding supply store. Buying a cheap torch (which isn't really cheap) could cause safety problems or finding even tips that fit it.

Old 03-15-06, 10:39 AM
What size do you need? I have the small shop size, which is not very portable but is economical. My friend has the kangaroo size which I borrowed once to cut a length of culvert to size. It's an OA setup that I only use for cutting. All joining is done with wirefeed or stick.

Old 03-15-06, 10:54 AM
Went to the shed and checked. The cheaper Victor is what your friend let you use, Uniweld. I have had no problems with mine and Victor tips fit it. I do take care of my equipment so that makes a difference.
The old pipefitters used to oxy/acetylene weld all pipes under 2". We also did a lot of brazing.

Old 03-20-06, 06:21 PM
M
torches

Might also check out Smith or Harris torches. The older Victors were once the cadillacs but they sold out the American workers just like all the automotive companies and now I beleive they are produced in Mexico. I would rate the Smith at the top with the new victors and the Harris in a tie for second. They may be others better than these but I have not experience with them.

my two cents

metweldeng

Old 03-20-06, 08:28 PM
I would rather have a USA made set, so if smith and harris are Ill look into those. Its sad about the good old victor going south of the border.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: