How do I Roll Aluminium round bar?

Old 03-17-06, 09:57 AM
B
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do I Roll Aluminium round bar?

I have 8 meters of aluminium round bar, diameter 12mm (1/2"). I need to roll it into 33 rings, each having an outside diameter of 125mm (about 5"). Every company I've asked say that it's impossible to do it with rollers because the rings are too small. I've heard that there's a way of doing it without using incredible machines. Does anyone know how I do this? Bearing in mind I have next to nothing in regards to machinery. Could anyone give me a basic step-by-step way of doing this please? Thank-you very much. Ben

Old 03-18-06, 07:22 AM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Without owning any machinery, your task will be exceedingly difficult.

First question is will your aluminum bend to the desired shape without breaking? Do you need to heat it while bending?

You will probably need something like a DiAcro bender. There is almost always one for sale on eBay. They are not cheap, either. Imagine a die with a radius equal to the OD of your tubing and an arm to form the metal to the die.

Forming the ends of the rings to the radius desired will also pose some challenges. The start and end of your forming process will be straight, so that part will need to be cut off, requiring a larger diameter finished product to trim and form, or hand work on a correctly sized piece.

If you did it all by hand by making a wood block to wrap the round bar around will pose the same start and finish challenges. How do you clamp it? How do you form the finish end as it passes the clamped start end? Your block will need to be smaller than the desired finished diameter to account for springback. As your length of round bar stock gets shorter, you lose leverage.

Lots of luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: