What rosebud and / or tank sizes?

Old 03-26-06, 08:19 AM
G
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What rosebud and / or tank sizes?

Hi guys,

The radiator support frame mount on my '96 K1500 was bent back about 3/4 of an inch in an accident. I was thinking I could heat up the area where it bent back with a rosebud and pull the mount back into alignment with a 1 ton "come along".

Does anyone know what is the minimum size rosebud I can use to heat a 4" tall x 2" wide x 1/8" thick part of the frame enough to bend it? I have been looking at buying or leasing oxy & acetylene tanks and I understand there is a "1/7 rule" concerning the draw rate out of the acetylene tank. That would mean that the #6 rosebud that I have (which draws a max of 40SCFH) would require a 280CF tank to be safe. I was hoping to have nothing bigger than 130CF tanks or so. This is being used in a home shop and I won't be using the torch that much.

I'd appreciate any advice on what to do.

Thanks very much!

George

Old 03-26-06, 12:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's only 1/8" thick - I would not use a rosebud tip. Just use the regular cutting tip (DON'T hit the cutting lever) and adjust for a neutral or reducing flame. Bring it to a dull red color and nudge it back with a framing hammer or a 2# drilling hammer (baby sledge).
You don't need to get the whole thing cherry red, just soften it along a line where you want it to bend. Correct it a bit there, then move further out on the piece (maybe 3/4"-1"), heat that line and obtain a bit more correction. I don't know whether you have a gentle curve or a sharp bend in the wrong direction.
I would not use the come-along when a BFH will allow you to bump it back in.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: