TIG Tips needed

Old 04-04-06, 07:06 PM
B
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TIG Tips needed

I just started TIG welding and all my welds look like crap so far. I have the right gas, the rigt tungsten, filler rod, base metal, polarity, gass pressure ect. but i still cant seem to make a good looking weld. All my welds look thin and globular and if I push the pedal enough to get it smooth it seems to go right through to the ohter side of the metal. Any websites with tips or videos? or anyone got any pointers. Thanks

Old 04-04-06, 08:37 PM
J
Maybe you should be more specific on what you are doing, type of tungsten size of tungsten, thickness of metal, steel or aluminum or stainless how much heat you are using. You obviously don't have your heat and speed of travel right. Tell us more.

Old 04-05-06, 07:55 AM
B
I have tried it all stainless, carbon, 1/16 tungsten, 1/8 tungsten, millers, esabs, most recently i was doing thin stainless 18 ga or so with 1/16 tungsten, around 50 amps for heat. Not really doing any jobs just trying to learn how to do it. thanks

Old 04-05-06, 09:20 PM
J
I would not start with stainless if I were just learning. When you weld stainless your finished weld should be a golden brown, if it is black you have used too much heat. I would go with mild steel. Use the same heat for your tig that you would use if you were welding with stick electrode, approximately. Let your tungsten stick out so it can be sorta close to your puddle. On a fillet weld you might have to go with a smaller cup so your tungsten does not stick out so far. If your tungsten sticks out too far you will consume more of your non-consumable than you would like. Make a puddle with your tig as if you were using an oxygen acetylene torch, and then add filler as you move your puddle across your practice piece. Be uniform and consistent, it will take practice.

Old 04-06-06, 02:03 PM
B
Thanks for the advice Jerome i will have to go take another crack at it on some mild steel as soon as i can get to it again. Thanks

Old 04-12-06, 12:55 AM
H
Tips On Tig Welding

I Have Found That You Need To Have A Very Very Fine Ponit On Your Tungston Second Start With Laying Your Filler Rod Allthe Way Down With The Way You Are Going To Travel Then Start Your Puddle On On Side The N Bridge To The Other Metal With Your Filler Rod Push In Just Enough To Drop In The Puddle As You Move Forward Any Thing Else I Can Add Is To Do A Lot Of Pratice I Am Still In The Process Of Learning How To Tig Weld Myself Goodluck Hooah!!!!!!!!!1

Old 04-23-06, 09:27 PM
R
rev
Provided all of your setting are correct, its all about practice and a steady hand. Its like riding a bike. One thing that I wish someone had told me early on: When grinding your tip sharp, use a clean wheel, ie keep aluminum and stainless separate.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: