Refinishing metal

Old 04-14-06, 06:24 AM
O
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Refinishing metal

Hello,
I hope this is the right place for this and i apologize in advance as I don't know much about this type of thing.
I have acquired some old theater style seats that have some nice metal holding the wood for the backrest as well as support the seat structurally. The way it currently looks is that it was painted with what looks like numerous layers of paint. I used a metal brush on my grinder to try and get most of the paint off, but there is a lot that still resides in many of the detailed areas that i am unable to get to. I then used some paint thinner to get the rest off (not sure if i should have done this or not), however, that seemed to dull the metal a bit. My question is, how do i go about restoring this metal work? I would like to rid it of the paint and shine it up. Any thoughts? Thanks for the help.

Oh, one other thing, i have no idea what type of metal this is on the chair. If you need to know is there an easy way to figure that out? Thanks again.

Old 04-14-06, 10:10 AM
ollie
Visiting Guest
If he metal is very ornate it's most likely cast iron which doesn't polish very well.
Use paint remover to get all the paint off. Take off all the wood and spray paint the color of you choice. If you want a first class job take it to a body shop for spraying.
If you want the metal look have try chrome plating.
HTH
Ollie

Old 04-14-06, 11:00 AM
O
Thanks for the reply.
Is there a way to shine it at all or at least rid it of some of its dullness or since it is possibly cast iron, am i just stuck? You mention polishing, what would be involved in polishing a piece of metal?

Old 04-23-06, 09:35 PM
R
rev
A good way to polish a complex metal suface is with a silocone carbide rotary disk. They usually come in larger sizes, but you could probably find one or something simular for your grinder if you don't own a polisher; which I assume is the case, since you asked what was involved in polishing metal. The main difference between a polisher and a grinder is the rpm's, 1000 vs around 15, 000/ .

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: