Relpacing Rivets Help wanted...

Old 04-28-06, 01:05 AM
H
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Relpacing Rivets Help wanted...

I would just like the steps to replacing rivets, as my rivets are rusted and loose on my window frames, they are aluminium i guess and i want to replace them with stainless steel or any other suggestions welcomed..

Thanks Hong Kong John

Old 04-28-06, 06:19 AM
W
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HongKongJohn
I would just like the steps to replacing rivets, as my rivets are rusted and loose on my window frames, they are aluminium i guess and i want to replace them with stainless steel or any other suggestions welcomed..

Thanks Hong Kong John
If they're rusted then they're not aluminum.

The basic steps of replacing rivets are to drill them out and install new. Assuming they're pop rivets, use a bit just slightly larger that the pin in the middle. Drill down just far enough so the head pops off then use a punch to knock the body through. Use a pop rivet tool to install new.

If they're solid rivets the procedure is basically the same but you need to center punch the head to drill it and you have to replace it with pop type. Solid rivets require special tools and access to the back of the rivet.

Old 04-28-06, 05:39 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,629 Likes on 1,462 Posts
If you are near the coast where you have salt in the air you should try to use rivets made of the same material you are joining. If you are joining an aluminum window frame try to use aluminum rivets. Two different metals can set up a small electrical current between them like a battery which can speed up corrosion. If you are inland (no salt air) I would not worry about it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: