bead pattern

Old 05-01-06, 01:40 PM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bead pattern

greetings. currently have a campell-hausfeld 80amp flux core and looking to move to 220 mig and am having issues with my bead pattern (i think).

ive tried the swinging back and forth motion (think wax on wax off) and that seems simple to produce a straight bead however im left with gaps on the ends. ive tried the circle method and while that seems to give me a more uniform bead im having issues keeping a straight line.

perhaps i just need more practice but was curious what patterns folks use on flux core or mig. thanks.

Old 05-01-06, 03:18 PM
Is the joint in the flat position or otherwise? Are you pushing or dragging?

Old 05-01-06, 04:18 PM
J
flat joint and i push. ive noticed my 90 degree joints typically look better but im about to do some floorboard work and want my beads looking (and being) good.

Old 05-01-06, 08:33 PM
I think you are saying you have a large end crater, correct? On computer controlled welders they stop wait a second and do a little spot weld on the end. its going to happen no matter what its just making it small. Electrode angle has alot to do with it, try to get 90 deg. at the end and make a shorter arc lengh. also if you slow down the wire speed so you weld slower it is easier to fill this in better because you have more time. In my opinion most people run the wire speed to fast. I like it when you have a crackling sound and the wire burns off righ above the base metal instead of on it. Home this helps.

Old 05-04-06, 02:29 PM
T
with mig you dont always have to "weave", depending on what you are doing, for thin plate anything less than 3mm 1/8 inch, a strait run is often good enough, for thicker materials weaving gives a wider bead, basically more filler material to hold it together. try turning the torch more upright at the end of the weld

Old 05-04-06, 03:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I always stop at the end and do a circle the size of the bead. If you just stop, you will always get a crater. Basically, you are filling in the end of the bead.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: