new welder

Old 05-24-06, 03:33 AM
G
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation new welder

i am going on my sixth day in weld school at the shipyard i work at, and the few instructors at the weld school barely speak english so i am basically learning by watching and really getting no instrucion. i just started learning vertical weld where i have to fit two eighteen inch by eight inch plates (1/4 inc thick) together to make a T and then weld the joints and i have to say this is extremely difficult!!!!!!! i keep getting alot of undercut and my weld doesnt flow.we use 1018(i think that is the number) stick and i run at about 120 with the stick at a 45 degree angle. if anyone has some pointers i am all ears cause im stumped and passing this class means a four dollar raise for me, thanks!!!!!

Old 05-24-06, 08:53 AM
F
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i haven't stick welded in a while. sounds like you are not moving the rod fast enough or your heat setting is too high. the most important thing is practice. you have to get a feel for laying the bead.

Old 05-24-06, 02:49 PM
R
I bet you were/are using a 7018 electrode not a 1018. you want to start at the bottom of the metal and work your way up, this is called vet. up. drag the electrode up making an upside down U at the arc, the end of the rod. if you are using a 1/8 rod 120amps is at the high end of the heat settings. I'm not a stick welder, mostly MIG but i've done a lot of stick in the past, so i'm sure somebody should be able to give you a bit more help.

Charles

Old 05-24-06, 02:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll agree with the 7018 rod. How many passes are you making on each weld (root pass, a couple fillers and then a cover pass? You have to hold the rod still at the sides of the weld to let the metal fill in. That is usually a sign of undercut. I use a "Z" motion. Get my puddle going and the go left, hesitate, go straight across and hesitate, then angle upwards over the metal you just put in. It kind of overlaps where you were just at. Then just work your way up that way. 120 does sound high for 1/8" rod. Pipefitters use 1/8" 6010 rod for the first pass and I have my machine between 75 and 85. Then we use 3/32 7018 for fillers and cap. usually I leave my machine at the same setting for the 1/8" 6010 or go up about 5. Good luck.

Old 05-24-06, 08:45 PM
J
I also bet you are using a 7018 1/8" rod. The 120 amps will work for an overhead fillet or a flat fillet weld. For a vertical up I would run around 105 amps. All machines won't have the same heat at the same amp setting so you will have to adjust some to get your heat right. For 7018 you run a short arc, you can run an arc that is too short and that will give you a weld that will not pass your test on vertical up. Rod angle should be 15 degrees not 45. When you pause at the edges of your weld and you get undercut that means you are not holding a long enough arc at the edge. If you hold too long of an arc you will get porosity in your weld. On your root pass for vertical up if the finished weld is not flat that means your arc is too short and you will have trouble filling in on the edge of your previous weld. Practice does not make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect. Good luck

Old 05-25-06, 02:49 AM
G
Talking thanks

wow! that is a lot of good info, more than i get from my instructors. i did try changing my angle to a 13 degree angle and 105 is the perfect temp for the machine i am working with, and oh yeah it is 7018. found out when i make my pass from left to right i was touching the rod directlly to the metal instead of working the pool and that was part of the reason for the undercut also i was moving a little too fast and was moving past the puddle. so far so good, a little more practice and i should be able to move on to over head in another day or so. once again thanks a lot for the advice it reallly helped a lot.

Old 05-25-06, 08:55 PM
7018 is one of my favorite rods, but I hated it at first. the more you use it the better you get. After a few weeks youll love it. The welder I have wont run it for some reason but at the collage I was the best stick welder there with my 7018 anyways.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: