MIG Weld Cast Iron Crack?

Old 06-10-06, 05:34 PM
L
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question MIG Weld Cast Iron Crack?

Thanks to everyone on this forum who gave me geart opinions on what kind of welder would best fit my needs. I bought a Lincoln 100 amp MIG welder that will accept GMAW attachment. For now I will only use the .035 flux core wire with out the gas. Just hobby welding and welding small mild steel parts for my tractor. I know that I can't go over anything more than 1/4" and expect the weld to hold. My question is this, I have a steering gear assembly on my old tractor that has a hair line crack in it. Do I need another type of wire to weld the crack up on cast iron. I have the assembly off the tractor for rebuild and would like to fix the crack at the same time. Thanks, again. Larry

Old 06-10-06, 08:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have brazed cast, and welded it with stick using Nirod. Not sure about if Mig can handle the job. Good luck.

Old 06-10-06, 08:52 PM
J
You can MIG weld cast with a wire machine. You will need to buy the right wire. The wire is expensive and I am not sure if your 110 volt machine will run it. You would still need to pre heat the part before you weld it, and let it cool down slow. You might ask where you bought the machine if they have a sample roll of nickel you could buy to try it out. We got a sample roll with a few feet on it just to try it out, worked OK. Our machine is a 440 volt three phase Miller. I would use the ni rod the dragon suggested or else braze it. Even years ago the ni.rod cost 4.00 bucks a pound for 3/32 rod. You only need to buy what you need, not a whole tin. Good Luck

Old 06-11-06, 09:25 AM
L
I checked the cost of nickel wire on the internet and you are right, it is expensive. I don't want to weld two pieces of cast iron together, I just want to seal a hairline crack. Is there no way I can use the regular wire just to run a bead over the crack?

Old 06-11-06, 09:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I understand what you are attempting but even if you welded it with Nirod, you should drill a hole at each end of the crack or the heat will cause it to travel. I can't see any way of doing it with a Mig that will work. Sorry.

Old 06-11-06, 01:33 PM
L
Thanks, guys, that's what I needed to know. I'll have to take it to a welding shop and have them do it. I'm sure they will drill the holes and do it right. Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: