Tig welder for home use......is there one?

Old 07-05-06, 10:43 PM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tig welder for home use......is there one?

Greetings everyone,
I'm an artist working from home who wishes to learn tig welding.
Is there a Tig unit that would run from my dryer outlet in my home?
I'm not looking to break the bank but would like to weld up to
1/4 inch aluminum and steel.
Any suggestions? Kenny S>

Old 07-06-06, 04:28 AM
D
Your dryer outlet? Is it 220v?

If it is, then you are in luck... but probably limited to a 40A circuit.

Miller has a machine called the Econotig. Not a "cheap" machine as in poor quality, just a basic one with a hobbyist duty cycle.

I'm sure the other manufacturers have something similar in the $1k to $2k price range.

The 1/4" aluminum will probably be a problem on a 40A circuit.

Stay with the majors like Miller, Lincoln, Esab and Thermal Dynamics and do not buy from places like Harbor Freight. Buy the best machine you can afford- cheaper is not better.

Machines that can do AC and DC will have tradeoffs compared to machines dedicated to straight DC or straight AC TIG welding. You need AC to do aluminum TIG.

It will cost more money for consumables (tungsten, filler, welding gas), and other supplies like protective gear, cables, hoses and brushes. You will need a bench grinder, angle grinder or tungsten grinder to sharpen the tungstens for aluminum, stainless and plain steel. You cannot process tungstens on a grinder rig for stainless on a grinder set up for aluminum.

A course at the local vocational school or college will knock a lot off of the learning curve. It may also allow you to try different types of machines and things like lift-arc starting instead of high frequency starting.

A quality helmet is a must. You will do better with an electronic version. Do not skimp on your eyes.

Have fun.

Old 07-06-06, 07:33 PM
S
thanks

thanks for the advice. Kenny S

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: