Now that I've settled on the Miller econotig...

Old 07-25-06, 12:27 PM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now that I've settled on the Miller...........

Looks like the econo tig or the 180sd are the choices for me.
I read a few reviews that recommended the 180 simply for duty cycle and......you'll always need more power than you think.
So......with that in mind I'm looking at setting the 180sd unit up in my garage and want to make sure it's possible before droppng the coin for it..
My dryer oulet is a 30 amps and my kitchen range outlet is 50 amps.
No worries.......My woman shipped out months ago so baking is not an issue.
Just remove the lower drawer of the range and plug in.

I also have 3 pop outs left on my fuse box outside the house.
Can I do the extension cord thing from my range?
Any details would be appreciated. Thank you,
Kenny >S

Last edited by sharrack; 07-25-06 at 12:39 PM.
Old 07-25-06, 07:02 PM
The dryer and stove/oven receptacles will not fit the welder plug, by design. You will need to obtain a welder receptacle (available at may home centers) and swap it out with the one that is installed.

Old 07-27-06, 03:47 AM
C
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Some thoughts

>>dryer oulet is 30 amps and my kitchen range outlet is 50 amps
You can download the owner's manual from the Miller website- that will tell you what the specific power requirements are, so you can make the best choice of power outlet.
http://www.millerwelds.com/service/ownersmanuals.php

>>setting the 180sd unit up in my garage
Since you likely store other stuff in the garage you'll need to be aware of where sparks are landing to avoid fires. Also, the fumes and shielding gas will accumulate, so active ventilation is a requirement. If you're thinking of TIG you're probably further down the welding road than others- sorry to point out the obvious, just making sure!

Old 07-27-06, 12:15 PM
S
Thanks..........

One thing I'm trying to avoid is buying the wrong unit.
I know the common mistake is to buy what you think you'll need and never project for the future.
Lets face it ..................anyone who says they will never weld over 3/16 "material is nuts! So I'm leaning towards spending the extra couple O' hundred for the Miller180SD knowing I can weld 1/4 inch. My work is mostly artisitc but the duty cycle of the econo may tick me off. A tig unit is so expensive that picking the wrong one could be an expensive mistake.

I was just wanting to make sure that a 50 amp circuit was enough to run the 180SD. Thanks Kenny S>

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: