Welding with Zinc

Old 08-09-06, 08:08 AM
O
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welding with Zinc

I have a project were I need to join 1/2" steel machine screws to the back of 1/4" thick zinc plates (not galvenized, 100% zinc). My welding experience only involves soldering copper pipes. What would be the best method (weld, braze, solder, etc.) to employ? What equipment do I need? Use of adhesives (JB weld, etc.) is not an option here.

Old 08-09-06, 03:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zinc boils at 1664 F. Steel melts at a MUCH higher temperature, so welding is not going to happen. Brazing is ill-advised due to the zinc fumes that will be generated.

I recommend a mechanical fastening design. These machine screws are 1/2" diameter on the threaded portion with something like a hex head to them?

I cannot completely visualize what you are designing. I recommend that you substitute a section of all-thread for the steel screw. Then drill and tap holes in the zinc plates, inserting the threaded rod. If the holes can penetrate completely there will be less chance of breaking a tap than with a blind hole. The zinc is soft, so the threading should be easy but prone to stripout if excessive force is used.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: