TIG coolant flow

Old 08-10-06, 11:57 AM
B
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TIG coolant flow

I have a 250 DX with an aftermarket cooling unit, basically a SS tank with a good size motor coupled to a pump. I want to get a new pump unit for it, but I have no idea what kind of flow rates I need to do it right the first time. I'd like to size the pump to handle the max output of the welder. I don't suppose a fish tank pump is sufficient?

Any help is appreciated.

Old 08-10-06, 07:07 PM
B
i swear to all that is holy that i'm not trying to sound like a smart butt, but if you even have to ask this question makes me believe that some further training in welding is in order for you.
we just don't want you, or anyone who happens upon these post, to get themselves in a situation to cause harm. and no,
a fish pump isn't standard equiptment for any type of welding
equiptment.

barry

Old 08-11-06, 12:51 PM
B
Originally Posted by brentwoodpmg
i swear to all that is holy that i'm not trying to sound like a smart butt, but if you even have to ask this question makes me believe that some further training in welding is in order for you.
we just don't want you, or anyone who happens upon these post, to get themselves in a situation to cause harm. and no,
a fish pump isn't standard equiptment for any type of welding
equiptment.

barry
Well, thanks Barry, that was a truly truly useless post. I'm just engineering a solution, there are more homebuilt cooling units out there than OEM ones, and cooling is not rocket science, just need an approximate flow rate and pressure requirement.

Oh, and I have been welding for the last 18 of my 32 years on this planet.

Old 08-13-06, 05:51 AM
J
This is just a thought you can run through your head. We have three tig machines set up where I work. One of them has the nice coolant radiator, a self contained unit. The other two have water that comes from the building supply, goes through the machine when you are welding, then to a drain. Unless you do a lot of tig welding you could just adjust the flow and let your cooling water run to a floor drain or hose it outside to the ground.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: