Recliner's metal frame broke

Old 08-22-06, 10:55 AM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recliner's metal frame broke

We have a rocking recliner love seat that broke. My wife was rocking our son to sleep and suddenly she said the seat felt different. I turned the seat upside down and after awhile found a loose metal tube that flattens to join a metal frame. The tube is about an inch wide and the joint is clearly sheared off.

The love seat is part of a sofa set with lots of sentimental value to us and it seems like a quick one inch weld would do the trick. For $25, Home Depot rents a 120 volt welder that plugs into a 20 amp circuit. Gloves and helmet are included.

I have never welded before but am excited to learn. I have read the recommendation sticky and am concerned that I might have a fire on my hands. I have a 12" x 12" heat blanket that I bought for plumbing solder.

Overall my plan was to practice using the welder on some scrap metal for a half hour. I would do this on a concrete driveway in front of the garage, with the cars parked 15 feet away on the street. I would rig some kind of shield, maybe just cardboard duct taped to some ladders, to keep from blinding the neighbors.

After practice, drag the love seat out to the driveway, flip the seat upside down, and make the 1 inch weld. What do you all think?

Old 08-22-06, 09:14 PM
M
Your plan sounds OK,but after welding the joint on the chair leave it out on the driveway overnite. The cotton padding can smolder for days. Hate to see your and famliy endangered just to fix something sentimental.
JHMO,
Mike

Old 08-24-06, 07:34 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,461 Posts
The tubing you want to weld probably has a thin wall thickness so I guess your big problem will be using too much heat. If your heat is too high you might find that you are burning a hole in the tube as you try to weld. If that happens turn the heat/power down on the welder. You can also try welding in short bursts so the metal does not get so hot.

Try and clean off all the paint around the area you want to weld. The paint will contaminate the weld, make a lot of smoke and will make the weld pop and splatter.

The welder you rent will probably not have a strong duty cycle meaning that it is only meant to strike an arc 10 or 20% of the time. If you weld more than that it may trip it's internal overload or trip the circuit breaker in your house. If you weld for 10-15 seconds (actually a long time when your welding) and let it rest for a minute you should be OK.

Old 08-26-06, 07:04 PM
J
To pay 25 bucks to learn how to weld so you can make a one inch weld, I think I would take it somewhere. Find someone who knows how to weld and have them do it. A lot of people have welders and some of them know how to use them others think they know how to weld. I onetime rewelded a trailer that was breaking apart because of the bad welds. Don't know how long he practiced before he felt he was good enough to build his trailer. For a one inch weld it is not worth paying 25 bucks. Next time you are in Minnesota bring it to my house and I will weld it for not.

Old 08-31-06, 05:13 AM
Super Moderator
Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts
Have you tried to weld your chair yet?

If not I might also suggest it might not be a good idea.
If the welder you are going to rent is just a straight stick welder then you would find the heat difficult to control. A mig welder is a better machine for this.
As said, the thin metal chairs are usually made of require extra care to not burn through.
If this is a chair you want to keep then I would also recommend you pay someone to do it for you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: