Welding cast aluminumw/ spoolgun??

Old 09-02-06, 09:45 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Welding cast aluminumw/ spoolgun??

I need to be able to weld cast alum. such as ears on transmissions bellhousings,intake man,ect.I have a mig.I,ve used it without a spoolgun.(using a new liner/argon a bigger tip than the dia.of the wire)Can say it kinda works?Seems the welds look awful,seems to be crystalized, not sure of the strenght? I,m thinking of buying a spoolgun attch. for my Hobart 210.But at $500+ I,d want to be completly satifyed w/ the welds on cast,not just ok.Any input,tips first hand experence out there?

Old 09-12-06, 06:27 PM
D
Nobody knows?

Can,t believe nobody has welded cast alum. with a spoolgun.Has anybody read that it can or can,t be done?How about sheet alum.? or just a spoolgun in genaral.

Old 09-13-06, 02:58 AM
J
cast`

I attempted repairing a bell housing years ago. The popular opinion is no. If you are trying to repair a part that is under stress or pressure forget it. I say forget it because you obviously don't know what your'e doing. Not to be a smart a**.
The only way to weld it is with the Tig process. If you have access you'll need to know the composite and year. You'll have to preheat and do multiple passes along with making sure you clean properly. Lots involved for a one time deal friend. The best thing for you to do is go to your local trade school and submit it as a project for the welding class. You'll both benefit from the experience.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: