Extension Cord for Welder?

Old 03-11-07, 07:57 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Extension Cord for Welder?

I own a small harbor freight flux core welder, this thing is perfect for what I need it for except it only reaches 10 feet.The plug on it is just a 110 plug I have it pluged into a 20 amp breaker. I want to use a extension cord so i can move it out of my garage. The manual says I need 12 awg and 20 amps minimum up to 30 feet for a extension cord but all I can find around here are 12 awg cords rated at 15 amps.Also the specs say the power consumtion is 120vac,24amps. Can I use a extension cord rated for 15 amps if I only use 25 feet or less? What kind of cord do i need? I have tried to provide as much info as possible I hope someone can help.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-07, 06:21 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 178 Votes on 158 Posts
Welcome to the diy forums!

The first welder I bought was a british made 110 volt arc welder that I purchaced from HF about 25 yrs ago. It works fine off of my 50' #12 ext cord. I didn't realize ext cords were amp rated [never paid attention ] I'll try to look later and see if it is marked on the cord casing. Once I had to use 50' of #10 hooked to 100' of #12 and the welder worked ok.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge will post a better answer, you got me wondering now

Old 03-13-07, 02:29 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 178 Votes on 158 Posts
Finally looked at my #12 & #10 extension cords but they either don't have amps listed on the casing or it has worn off years ago.

I would think a good heavy duty #12 -25' extension cord would be fine but I can't say for sure

Old 03-18-07, 06:01 AM
I
I have a hobart mig 135 handler that I use on a #12 extention cord. Most
of the smaller welders have a duty cycle of 10 to 20 percent anyway. Your
really not going to operate it long enough to heat up the cord. Your cord may be rated at 15 amp because its longer then 25 ft. The longer the cord the more voltage drop you have and the less load you can use on it. Heck I would try it and see if it heats up. Your right there and if its causes a problem
move up to a #10 cord.

Originally Posted by 854x4 View Post
I own a small harbor freight flux core welder, this thing is perfect for what I need it for except it only reaches 10 feet.The plug on it is just a 110 plug I have it pluged into a 20 amp breaker. I want to use a extension cord so i can move it out of my garage. The manual says I need 12 awg and 20 amps minimum up to 30 feet for a extension cord but all I can find around here are 12 awg cords rated at 15 amps.Also the specs say the power consumtion is 120vac,24amps. Can I use a extension cord rated for 15 amps if I only use 25 feet or less? What kind of cord do i need? I have tried to provide as much info as possible I hope someone can help.

Old 03-18-07, 07:41 AM
Super Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 22 Posts
Thumbs up Welcome to our forums 854x4,

The reason your 12 ga cord is only rated at 15 amps is because of the connectors.
The cord you have is made for when you want to extend a 15 amp circuit.
You need a cord that has the proper connections.

idmason60 is right in that it is permissible to derate wiring for welders slightly because of the duty cycle.

How high do you typically have the welder set?
You would only begin to notice any problem when you have the heat turned to maximum.

Old 03-25-07, 07:04 PM
your 12 gauge 15 amp will be just fine for the job.