My first welder (arc)

Old 05-30-07, 05:12 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
My first welder (arc)

Hi im new to welding and im looking at getting a welder for around the house and i have decided an arc welder would probably best suit my needs. I need it to be able to work on a go cart frame and a small motorbike and those sorts of things, the model im looking at is 160amps, and it claims its capable of 2.5mm and 3.2mm electrodes and light gauge 4.0mm. So im wondering if anyone can shed some light on whether this welder sounds about right for me to learn on ect.
Thanks

Old 05-30-07, 05:56 AM
M
IMO you'd be letting yourself in for a lot of frustration trying to weld go kart and cycle frames w/ an arc welder. It costs more but a mig w/ gas is much better suited for lite welding.
Mike

Old 05-30-07, 10:01 AM
Wink

Yep, Mike is right there, a person who has never touched a welder before can weld with a mig after a few hours; you won't do that with an arc welder without doing a lot of cussing in the process, especially if it's an AC which is probably what you are looking at.

Joe

Old 05-30-07, 04:52 PM
If at all possible go with a mig setup if it's in your budget

If you do opt to buy an AC stick welding setup and have no prior experience welding, be sure you have lots and lots of practice, and you are 100% sure of your welds, before attempting to weld any kind of framework on any kind of motorized vehicle. (or anything that counts for that matter).

As a rule stick welding with AC with a cheap welder is perhaps the most difficult type of welding for a beginner.

Jim

Old 05-30-07, 08:36 PM
Thanks for the advice, what if the only option in by budget was a 100 amp mig welder would this still be better then a 160 or 180 amp arc welder

Old 05-30-07, 09:08 PM
I have and use one of the 110 volt wirefeed welders. It works fairly well on steel thinner than 1/8" but should be used on a dedicated circuit. Not the one with the refrigerator and bread toaster plugged in as well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: