Hairline aluminum crack repair?

Old 09-12-07, 05:50 PM
Hairline aluminum crack repair?

I am trying to salvage a garage door panel in order to avoid the purchase of two aluminum garage doors and their associated panels. My panels are an out-of-date style and cannot be replaced individually. I have a hairline crack on one panel about 2" to 3" long. With the constant opening and closing of the this particular garage door unit this individual panel and the crack in it will only get worse. I am refurbishing the panel as in the Rocky Mountains we have hard winters and the panels often sit on on ice or icy water for extended periods of time. Once in a while the panel needs to be removed and refinished. I don't want to go thru that effort on this panel and then not be able to repair the hairline crack. Any ideas on how to repair the hairline crack?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-07, 07:03 PM
I'm assuming this is a sheetmetal panel. If so I recommend you drill a stop hole a hair past the crack(this will prevent the crack from progressing), then you can rivet a fish-plate over the crack and stop hole. Try to be sure and plate the crack from both sides so as to sandwich the crack between the two plates.
And put some sealant under the plates.

If it is 1/8" or more still drill the stop hole, but weld the fish-plate on if possible. If you can't you can still rivet it.

And be sure to use aluminum rivets to prevent electrolytic corrosion.

Jim