Artist New to Metal looks for advice

Old 10-12-07, 10:29 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cool Artist New to Metal looks for advice

Hello All-

I'm interested in finding out what tools/materials would be best to have on hand to cut license plates into various shapes. I'd need to be able to cut both curves and straight cuts. Picture a piece of paper about the size of a license plate, and imagine taking a pair of scissors and cutting rough shapes out of it...say, letters or numbers. That's ideally what I'd like to do with the plates.

First, is it reasonable for a newbie to expect to be able to safely do this at home with the right tools? And secondly, does anyone have an idea of how thick/what gauge sheet metal most states make license plates out of? Can this material be cut with a pair of heavy duty snips, or are there faster and better options for cutting fairly intricate shapes?

Thanks in advance for any reply.

Old 10-12-07, 02:05 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

An aviation shears or tin snips would be your cheapest way to cut them. You would also want a way to clean the edges up so they won't be sharp - maybe a sander.

Old 01-27-08, 07:41 AM
P
Modern license plates are thin aluminum. Generally speaking, the older the plate, the heavier the material.

For the type of cutting you describe, I suggest a table-top scroll saw. A fine-tooth metal-cutting blade will zip right through the plates, and you will have great control.

Brand new ones go for as little as $100.

Old 02-12-08, 11:19 PM
C
I would say either air nibblers or air shears?

Here's a link to some shears...

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...keyword=shears

Old 03-01-08, 11:26 AM
K
I like the scroll saw idea, tin snips will give ragged cuts with little slivers sticking out.
A hand coping saw will work pretty good with a fine-tooth blade, probably 32-48 teeth per inch or so. Set the blade so it cuts on the pull stroke, with the teeth pointing to the handle. Use a sawing platform with a notch cut in the edge--just a piece of plywood maybe 12" wide and 18" long, clamped to a workbench top to give an extended table. Cut a V-notch into the end sticking out, about 1" wide at the mouth and 1/2" wide at the inner end, 6" deep.
Sit in a comfortable chair in front of the platform, license plate on the platform, saw in hand with handle downwards. Keep saw pointed in same direction, move license plate around to follow cut.

This is how jewelers saw intricate patterns to a precise line and it works really good because the cut is right in front of your face, easy to see. Cutting on the downstroke keeps the piece from jumping around. After you get the hang of it, use rapid strokes with light pressure and just pretend you're a human scrollsaw
Total cost, probably $15 spent at the local hardware store.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: