Which TIG welder, miller maxstar or MAC

Old 06-25-08, 09:19 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Which TIG welder, miller maxstar or MAC

I'm looking for a TIG welder, i have to do some stainless exhaust fab wor for a motorcycle, i currentlt have a 230v 155a lincoln MIG.

I can get a Miller maxstar 150 stl for 650 bran new locally which is a heck of a buy for a $1700 machine, i think its on clearance because the new 150's also have HF start which the stl doesnt have. The maxstar is DC only, so wont weld aluminum which would be a nice feature to have, but 3 year warranty, dual voltage, 14lb weight and good reputation are all plusses.

option 2 is a little used several year old MAC tools AC/DC machine 155a 230v complete with bottle and everything for $1,000
Technically this machine has lots more features and i can use it on alluminum too but i dont know who maked MAC's welders and dont want to be left with no support is it breaks.

I'm new to TIG, i'm not comfortable with buying the new all in one chinese machines either.

Any suggestions??

Pete

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-08, 03:47 PM
Go with one that has been around for awhile. Miller or Lincon are both good. They will be here to help you if it breaks. I have a Licoln tig and love it..

Old 07-11-08, 06:28 PM
Stay away from the Chinese junk, when it breaks down you will need to buy another machine. Use the money you would have spent on the Chinese and the money you will spend on another machine and buy the lincoln or Miller now. I use a Miller at work, it's a great machine. I have used Lincoln's also, both are great machines.