Getting started

Old 12-29-08, 06:11 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Getting started

Can anyone get me started on home-improvement-type welding? Basically repairing yard tools, gates, and simple steel fabrication, possibly attaching holddowns to a steel trailer. No experience and I'm seeing the following stuff in stores but have no idea of what I need:

Arc Welders
Gas Welders
MIG Welders
Spot Welders

Is an ability to weld aluminum a step up?

Also, advice on DIY-type manuals.

Thanks!

Old 03-02-09, 05:40 PM
S
OK, I'm not getting any responses to this question since it was posted in December. Does anyone have any ideas as to why no responses? Any book recommendations to get me started?

Old 03-06-09, 02:55 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Probably did not get many responces since it was a "I'm just getting started... what do I need..." thread. Since you've posted back I assume the members will see that you are serious about learning welding.

I would get a MIG welder and focus on welding steel. It is easy to learn and has so many uses around the house. I've always been a big fan of buying a used brand name machine versus a new cheap one but if you are just doing odd jobs around the house a cheap one would probably work. Gassless with flux core wire will be the cheapest but I preffer to use gas so there is less smoke and a cleaner weld.

You can weld aluminum but it does require some additional equipment and you do not have a need for it as often. I'd save that purchase for later.

Old 03-08-09, 06:28 AM
S
Thanks! Care to list a few reliable brand names? Is Lincoln Electric one (Home Depot and Lowes)?

MIG is the same as wire-feed?

Old 03-08-09, 07:54 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Lincoln, Miller, Esab, Hobart and others are all good brand names. I have read too many stories of people that have bought the off name, cheap Chinese welders only to find that it does not work well and they cannot get replacement and repair parts. If trying to save some money I would rather have a used brand name machine over a new no-name. A quality machine that accuratley controls the current and wire feed rate makes it much easier to get better quality welds.

Yes, MIG is wire welding where a wire is fed down the cord and comes out at the welding gun.

You might try spending some time on the major brands websites. I know the Miller site (and I assume the other brands do as well) has a ton of usefull information and how to guides.

Old 03-08-09, 01:07 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Mig welding is by far the easiest to learn. Like you have already read, gas-less mig welding may be a bit cheaper, but are not as clean(pretty).
Using a gas mig welder will give you the nicest welds.

Taking a small, local welding class would go a long way in helping you get started. You can pick up lots of tips and techniques that will save you time and money.
In a class you get to waste there stuff(gas, wire, material) while picking up valuable insights and information.

Travis

Old 01-18-10, 04:17 PM
B
is it possible to braze steel?

I ask because on a auto forum someone posted how to make a very simple greasing tool using steel pipe but it requires brazing.

I'm pretty sure a Mapp bernzomatic flame would be hot enough, but is there a certain flux needed?

here is a pic of the tool the threaded pipe is brazed at both ends, but it's easiest to see the bottom end where you can see that a large nut has been 'attached' to the pipe.

I can't tell if that's a weld or a braze, but the author said that it's a braze.

Old 01-18-10, 04:57 PM
Yes you can braze steel but that almost looks like it was tig welded.
To braze a part like that, I would think it would build up too much heat, and distort the threads.
Tig would be the way to go with a part like that.

Travis

Old 01-18-10, 07:46 PM
B
Good to know. I'm not sure I'll build the tool or not, but reading a bit about welding and brazing has me very curious about welding in general.

FWIW, the maker of that grease tool definitely instructed to braze it.

I wonder though if one were to braze steel, what sort of flux and filler would be appropriate. I tried looking around with the google...too many fluxes to sift through.

any info would be appreciated.

Originally Posted by waterwelldude
Yes you can braze steel but that almost looks like it was tig welded.
To braze a part like that, I would think it would build up too much heat, and distort the threads.
Tig would be the way to go with a part like that.

Travis

Last edited by briholt; 01-18-10 at 09:25 PM.
Old 01-18-10, 08:35 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Generally speaking brazing is easier than welding. You WILL have trouble trying to braze (or weld) galvanized material as the zinc (galvanizing) interferes with the proper depositing of the filler metal and also makes a lot of smoke. I would always grind the galvanizing off before attempting to to braze or weld.

When brazing you use a filler rod that is primarily brass. It is commonly available at welding supply stores as "brazing rod", available in several diameters and sold by the pound. Obviously the larger diameter the fewer rods per pound. Standard length is 36 inches. You can get brazing rod either plain or flux-coated. The welding supply will also have the proper flux. If you use plain rod you heat the end a bit in the torch flame and then insert it into the can of flux and a small amount will adhere to the rod.

Using propane or Mapp gas for brazing anything more than sheet metal or copper tubing is problematic as there will not be enough heat. Air-acetylene or oxy-acetylene torches are much easier to use for brazing with the oxy-acetylene being the best for heavier work.

Old 01-18-10, 08:38 PM
B
sweet! thanks furd!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: