Miller Mig Welder

Old 04-24-09, 01:35 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Miller Mig Welder

I'm looking at the new Miller 212 Auto Set, does anyone have any experience with this model? I am curious as to its limitations.

Old 04-28-09, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
I am not familiar with this specific welder but looking at the info it looks as if all the "auto set" does is save you from looking at a chart for your initial setting.

I have an MM-150 that has the standard voltage and wire speed knobs and I think it is a MM-250 with digital controls at work.
The digital control on this one has you set the wire type, wire thickness, gas type and material thickness.
The welder then sets the voltage and wire speed to a pre-determined setting where you then manually fine tune the settings.

This is what it looks like the 212 auto set does.
I think that all this does is make it so you don't have to look at a chart.
My MM-150 has a chart on the inside of the wire door that I reference for the initial setting and then dial it in.
IMO the most important thing with a MIG welder is learning how to set it and the auto set just looks like a gimmick.

Wouldn't it be nice to think that a welder could truly set itself

Old 04-29-09, 08:23 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
I have it's little brother the 180 and it works very well. I would not say there are limitations other than obvious ones due to size. The auto set feature works very well and makes it almost idiot proof for a novice. My 180 has half (30%) the duty cycle of the 212 model you are considering and I have yet to kick in the thermal overload. I think Miller is very good about meeting their published specs.

Old 04-29-09, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
Thumbs up Hmm........... I learned something looking into this further.

I took a close look at the Miller site and now see that you can only get their basic mig models with auto-set.
I originally thought this was an option that would cost more money.
Interestingly when I look at their sister brand, Hobart, their similar models are positioned below the Miller brand.

The Miller 212 auto set is $1925.00, has a 60% duty cycle, comes with an M-25 mig gun and weighs 178 lbs.
The Hobart Iron Man 210 is $1590.00. has a 40% duty cycle, comes with an M-10 mig gun and weighs 146 lbs.

Since Miller now owns Hobart and the cases appear nearly identical they are starting a Chevy/Oldsmobile marketing strategy.
I have noticed Hobart in a couple of box stores so I guess they will be mass marketed and Miller likely will be sold through dealers.

Seeing this I would buy the Olds.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: