Acetylene to propane?

Old 08-30-09, 11:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acetylene to propane?

What is the best & least expensive way to convert my old oxy/acetylene rig to propane? For my needs, I can't justify the expense of acetylene. It will be used mostly for cutting & heating, as well as brazing. I don't anticipate doing any welding with it. I know a propane - specific rig would be best, but I won't be using it that much, so economy is a factor. All help appreciated.

TIA
Scott

Old 08-31-09, 06:32 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,521 Posts
You need a different torch to get good results. Oxy/acetylene torches are equal pressure style where a oxy/propane torch is an injector style.

Because propane contains more btu's in the outter cone of the flame it is better than acetylene for heating and cutting... but you need the right torch. Because acetylene is lighter than oxygen but propane is much heavier it needs a different gun. Simply changing the tip does not give you the best results.

Old 08-31-09, 10:44 PM
How much efficiency will I lose by converting an existing oxy/acetylene unit to propane? Or will it work at all? I am looking for economy, since this will just be used occasionally. Thanks again.

Scott

Old 09-01-09, 07:15 PM
Excuse me for being such a dumba**, but I am assuming an injector style torch has to be a complete unit - torch, regulators, etc. - not just a replacement torch head. Thanks for bearing with me.

Scott

Old 09-08-09, 08:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Originally Posted by rustynut57 View Post
What is the best & least expensive way to convert my old oxy/acetylene rig to propane? For my needs, I can't justify the expense of acetylene. It will be used mostly for cutting & heating, as well as brazing. I don't anticipate doing any welding with it. I know a propane - specific rig would be best, but I won't be using it that much, so economy is a factor. All help appreciated.

TIA
Scott
i pay about $30 for a 80 lb. tank of acetylene. not used much lately but it lasts a good while, depending on the use(heating/cutting). i would thing if you don't use it that much, the cost of the new equipment would offset any savings?! just wondering.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: