no tools, no skills: can I make an oval "bowl"...?

Old 09-24-09, 08:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no tools, no skills: can I make an oval "bowl"...?

It was over ten years ago that I moved to my current home, and the movers lost a couple of things, including a part of a wrought iron umbrella stand. The missing part is bowl-shaped and intended to catch the runoff of wet umbrellas placed in the stand, and it fit into an opening that measures 15.5" x 3.25". I had purchased the stand at a long since closed little shop in Boston that carried ersatz antiques, really reproductions of classic styles. I did plenty of googling to see if i could find a distributor or manufacturer and simply buy a replacement, but never had any luck. I thought for sure I had posted about this here already, but I don't see it among my subscribed threads. Now that I'm posting, I'm unsure of the best forum, as welders and metal workers will likely have very sensible solutions that are beyond my capabilities (too bad there's no "hacks and mickey-mousers" forum). Still, I thought it worth asking. The material used need only be watertight and strong enough to survive the weight of a few umbrellas. It'll be painted white to match the wrought iron. Any ideas?

Old 09-24-09, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator
Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts
Thumbs up Yup, no tools or skills could still come up with a solution.

I think that you would solve this with ingenuity rather than construction skills.
If you take a look around you I am sure there would be an everyday object that would do the job.

If you post a clear in-focus picture of your stand to a free site like PhotoBucket and provide a link we could take a look.

Old 09-27-09, 06:13 PM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Go to a Goodwill store and look for a aluminum salad bowl or something that might work. I am Arty, and recently needed a piece of STAINLESS steel, but suppliers wanted to sell me a big sheet for a few hundred dollars. I went to Goodwill and purchased for .72 cents a old cooking stainless steel pot, and cut the bottom out of it for my art project.

Of course I have tools.

I wish you well.

Dale in Indy

Old 09-28-09, 06:49 PM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you could try a cast iron kettle. find one the right size and just about any weld shop can cut it to the right height. it would match the wrought iron look too.

Old 10-02-09, 12:51 PM
the "bowl" shape in question is not like any available product/item I can think of, as it's very oblong:

(see? it's missing from the bottom of the stand; like I said, 15.5" long x 3.25" wide)

Old 10-02-09, 01:42 PM
B
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
An old friend had a couple of cast iron french loaf pans that were long and narrow, just a place to check, not her cupboard, but, well you know.
Any sheetmetal shop could create something to fit.

Bud

Old 10-02-09, 01:59 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Have you considered fiberglass painted black or to match the stand? You would construct a cardboard form of the correct shape a bit smaller then layer with resin soaked fiber glass cloth.

Old 10-02-09, 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
Have you considered fiberglass painted black or to match the stand? You would construct a cardboard form of the correct shape a bit smaller then layer with resin soaked fiber glass cloth.
where does one find resin soaked fiberglass cloth?

Old 10-02-09, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Boater supply, Auto parts store near the body repair stuff or even HD or Lowes in the paint Dept.

You have to mix the resin with the activator and soak the cloth..it doesn't come predone.

Old 10-02-09, 06:22 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Look on the net for some videos or written instructions.. I only gave you an idea not instructions. If you do have specific question post. I've done it but I am self taught so not an expert but some here may be.

Old 10-02-09, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts
Honestly, I am sure you are clever enough to learn any trade type skill but you need to be prepared for a steep learning curve for some of the suggestions offered.

Working with fiberglass is not something you would get right without a lot of practice.
If you think you would like to pursue fiberglass application in the future it might be worth the effort.
But, if it is a one shot deal then forget it.

You were being honest when you said "no tools, no skills:".
Are you prepared to purchase necessary tools and spend considerable time learning these skills?
Most here are self taught in these areas but have spent a great deal of time getting there

If this is not your thing I saw some interesting cast umbrella stands on eBay for about a hundred bucks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: