Summer Torches

Old 06-21-10, 09:16 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Summer Torches

I hope this is the correct forum to post this.

I am trying to build some summer torches to stick in the ground using mostly materials I have. I have collected almost 20 clear wine bottles with screw tops. I want to drill a small hole in the screw top and slide a piece of rope through it for a wick. Filling the bottle with kerosene or Lamp oil. I have built two old school wooden tool boxes that hold 12 bottles each to carry them. My problem is how to hold these torches in the air. I would like to use 1/4 iron bars that are about 4 feet long. A tuna can holds the bottles perfectly. How do I attach the tuna can to the iron bars so that when I am done using the torches, I can remove the tuna cans and place them in my back pack and carry the bars and bottles. I appreciate any help anyone can give thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-10, 03:24 AM
Group Moderator
Received 166 Votes on 156 Posts
You can drill and tap a hole in the end of your stake and mount the tuna can with a screw or bolt. Or, if you have a welder you could try welding the can to your stake. It will not be a pretty weld but you might get a few spots to stick well enough to hold it together.

Old 06-22-10, 07:10 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks Pilot Dane,
I was going to die thread the stake and with your recommendation of welding the tuna can I think it will work. Thanks for your help.

Old 06-22-10, 07:39 AM
Group Moderator
Received 166 Votes on 156 Posts
The cans have an enamal or plastic coating on the inside that make striking an arc difficult. I've had the best luck if I drill a hole (about 1/4") in the bottom of the can where I want to weld. I clamp the rod in a vice and attach my ground to the rod. Then just hold the can on top of the rod and strike your arc through the hole. I set my welder for the rod and keep my arc aimed at the rod through the hole. The heat off to the side of the arc is enough to melt the thin can metal.