Bending aluminum tubing.

Old 10-23-10, 01:40 PM
W
Received 12 Votes on 12 Posts
Bending aluminum tubing.

I have a 20 foot aluminum flagpole that was made in 4 foot sections. The lowest section was bent by vandals recently. (it has been a target before) I have a solid steel insert that will prevent this from happening again, but I thought I might try to either heat it with a propane torch, or just try to bend it back cold to get it straight again. The bend was only a seven to ten degree on this section but it makes it very noticable at the top of the pole. Any advice before I destroy it would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-10, 03:01 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
hmmm, idk.

if it were me, i would cut it and weld it. but i can weld aluminum. so that would make it a cheap fix.

Old 10-23-10, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
If you can drive the insert in...do that til it hits the bend...then flex the aluminum and drive it more..bit at a time. Assuming the insert is a pretty tight fit.

Old 10-23-10, 05:31 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 606 Votes on 559 Posts
Heating aluminum is not like steel. It does not help "soften" the material like you think it would. I like the idea of driving the steel inside the aluminum. I would grind a chamfer/bevel on the steel so it does not catch or gouge the aluminum and I would grease it very well to help prevent galling.

Old 10-24-10, 06:09 PM
W
Received 12 Votes on 12 Posts
Bending Aluminum tube

I was afraid of that (heating aluminum not helping to bend it) The steel pipe I have is too much smaller to straighten the aluminum tube properly the way you suggest. I have a mig welder that has an aluminum wire feed cable, and some aluminum wire, and a bottle of argon too. I may try cutting the bend out of the tube and re welding a straight piece into it and see if I still have some skill there.

Old 10-24-10, 06:22 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
how thick is the pipe, and what size is that mig ?