broken welder

Old 06-05-11, 12:10 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
broken welder

I have a Century 170GS MIG welder I "recovered" from a local reclaim yard. It has the infinite voltage and wire speed and it welds, sorta. The wire speed works but it has no voltage control. I set it up and changed the polarity for flux core wire.When I tried to weld with it, it ran at max voltage,laying a good bead on 1/4 inch plate butt weld. I removed the circuit board and didn't see any burned or broken components. If anyone knows how to troubleshoot this problem or knows where to get it repaired reasonably, please let me know.
Thanks
Knifetech

Old 06-05-11, 07:08 AM
Group Moderator
Received 659 Upvotes on 559 Posts
I suggest contacting a local welding suppily shop.

Old 06-08-11, 08:20 PM
H
broken welder

I realize that I could just go to a welding supplier and ask about the problem I have, but I chose to ask on this site. I was impressed with a previous thread that was on repairing a welder. I guess I was mistaken, thanks anyway.

Old 06-08-11, 08:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 659 Upvotes on 559 Posts
Sorry, I couldn't be more help. May the bump would help?

Old 07-07-11, 08:26 PM
W
century welder

are dumb questions allowed? LOL I see you are talking about a Century welder and I was looking to get a welder for my husband. Lately, it seems like he's borrowing his buddy's welder alot. To attach the mailbox to the new metal post (watch out snow plows!) and to repair the snowmobile trailer.
I came across this Century 100 (280) & 140 ($330) Century Wirefeed 100 Welder, Tools, Century, Century Wirefeed 100 Welder Mig at Sportsman's Guide
Any quick thoughts if that's a good place to start or should I go with a refurbished one?
Thanks!
PS Good luck with the broken one!

Old 07-08-11, 10:04 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,705 Upvotes on 1,524 Posts
Personally I like Miller and Lincoln which are two major brands that have good support and parts availability though they are considerably more expensive. I have never used a Century so I don't have much to say about the brand or that model.

I would try to find out if your husband welds with gas or uses flux cored wire. The Century welder you linked uses flux core wire which is less expensive since it does not require a tank & regulators but it does produce a messier/dirtier looking weld and more smoke. Flux core welders are often used outside or in the field where dragging along a big tank of gas would be difficult or where wind might blow the shielding gas away. Most weld shops use gas which can produce a cleaner looking weld and makes less smoke.

Old 07-14-11, 08:09 PM
W
Thanks so much! There's a lot more to it than I thought - guess that's why he does the welding and I dont! Appreciate your advice!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: