conduit

Old 02-09-12, 07:35 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
conduit

I use a lot of emt conduit to make different things. And my question is, can emt conduit be swedged. It would be a lot easier to weld it that way, then a butt joint. I know the swegdes would need to be a lot stronger then, the ones for copper pipe. But I have some one then can make them for me.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-12, 08:50 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Well since EMT can be bent which requires some deforming of the metal I'd guess yes. If it wouldn't cost much I'd say have one tool made for half inch and try it.

Old 02-10-12, 07:31 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Oh ya, it can be bent, I have 3 different benders. I have made railings for my front door, back door, and around the deck. When I did the front door, people were stopping taking pictures, and others asking where I got it. I bent my name and house number out of flat iron in the corner up right of the porch. There is a lot things I will do for my self, just do feel right doing it for other people.

Old 02-10-12, 08:52 AM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
Cold swaging might be difficult but doing it hot would be fairly easy and could probably use the same tools as copper. You would want to have a pair of roller stands (stands with dual ball bearings arranges in a vee notch) to continuously roll the EMT while heating. Uneven heating would allow the hotter side to bulge out more than the cooler side. Probably a two (or maybe three) person job.