usable for barbeque grill grate?

Old 07-02-14, 05:24 PM
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
usable for barbeque grill grate?

I'm considering utilizing the shelf grate as shown in the photo here as the grate for a homemade barbeque (set it on top of an empty cut-in-half 55-gallon drum). I would think it should work fine for that but am wondering about the chrome plating, whether that will be any problem. Don't want that chrome plating to cook into the barbequed meat. I suppose it should just burn off? Any comments appreciated.

Old 07-02-14, 05:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Once you burn off the chrome plating, it won't last long, and will melt with high heat. I wouldn't use one for food preparation on a grill. It's a Crescor rack for food storage in a cooler and elsewhere.

Old 07-02-14, 06:20 PM
It's a Crescor rack for food storage in a cooler and elsewhere
Right. But probably not suitable at all for the purpose I mentioned, even after the chrome burns off? It'll melt with high heat? Is the steel used for these different than whats typically used for barbeque grates? I assume the answer is yes. It'd be okay with me if it didnt last long but of course wouldn't bother trying to use it if it's just gonna be melting after the first few times heating it up.

Old 07-02-14, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
It prob won't really melt, but it's a pretty low gauge of steel I imagine. It does have the center stiffener, so thats a plus. I think the spacing and gauge of the steel is an issue. Why not go to a welding/metal shop and get some heave gauge expanded metal cut to size?

Btw...no problem with the chrome, plenty of grille grates are chrome plated.

Old 07-02-14, 07:43 PM
Well I think the spacing would be all right. Yeah I could go to a welding/metal shop and try to get something but I didn't necessarily want to pay be spending money on my homemade barbeque. Just happened to have that old cooler shelf sitting around unused with some junk I was gonna throw out and was thinking of making sort of a crude barbeque setup since I don't have a barbeque otherwise. Don't really need anything fancy, just wanted to throw something together that'll work decent as a barbeque. Think I'll just go ahead and give it a try. But should maybe try to burn off the chrome first (before cooking the meat on it), or just not worry about it?

Old 07-02-14, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Oh I'd say go ahead and try it, sure won't hurt.

You won't "burn off the chrome" at least not anytime soon. It may flake off some as it gets used or the underlying metal rusts. What you do want to do is clean it with soap and water, then run it through a cook cycle (no food) to remove any contaminants. Spray or wipe it with cooking oil before and after use.

Old 07-02-14, 10:12 PM
Okay then, good to hear. And thanks for the tips.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: