rotary sifter

Old 10-12-14, 05:59 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
rotary sifter

I think I am in the right place but if not can someone move me. So for my project I want to make rotary sifter. Using two sheets of 1/4" mesh and attach them so they make 1/8" squares. I want this to be permeant and sturdy. I think the best way to attach them together would be to solder it.(I am open to other options if there any) But I don't know what soldering kit/solder, seeing that this would be my first time soldering something. What would you suggest? links to the products would be great thanks

Old 10-12-14, 07:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,485 Upvotes on 3,128 Posts
Can you post a picture of what you are trying to build or maybe leave a link to one.
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...rt-images.html

I think you'd need to use a brazing process here for strength. Most rotary sifters I've seen have a barrel that spins and separates out the rocks.

Old 10-13-14, 12:22 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
I think you would be far better off using 1/8 inch mesh from the get-go. Do a Google search as there appears to be many sources.

Old 10-13-14, 05:53 AM
W
Received 60 Upvotes on 52 Posts
Sifter

If you fasten the two sheets together while flat, then you will have difficulty when you try to bend the sheets into a cylinder.

Old 10-13-14, 06:00 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,849 Upvotes on 1,655 Posts
Two layers of 1/4" mesh do not necessarily equal 1/8" mesh. As already mentioned it would be best to start with the material you need. Wire mesh and perforated steel are available in a variety of opening sizes and overall open area and it's possible to have the same opening area in different thickness materials or wire size to get the strength and longevity you want.

Old 10-13-14, 08:08 AM
T
"Two layers of 1/4" mesh do not necessarily equal 1/8" mesh. As already mentioned it would be best to start with the material you need. Wire mesh and perforated steel are available in a variety of opening sizes and overall open area and it's possible to have the same opening area in different thickness materials or wire size to get the strength and longevity you want."

Oh I did not know that then I will have to find a better way to replicate what I did for my prototype. I kind of assumed that is what it would size would be.

Old 10-13-14, 10:10 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,849 Upvotes on 1,655 Posts
Don't forget that your mesh is made of wires which take up space. The wire size will affect the open area of your screen. Two layers of 1/4" mesh aligned on top of each other still has 1/4" openings. if you offset them in one direction you end up with two openings, both less than 1/4" minus the wire size and the space is still 1/4" wide so you've created a rectangle. Offsetting two layers can allow you to change the opening size but can also cause some material to be trapped and held in the pocket created by the two sheets.

The wire size will affect your open area and how it filters material. A large wire size will reduce the overall open area and provide more a fillet into the opening because of the radius of the wire. Depending on what you're sifting it can be good or bad.

Old 10-13-14, 10:37 AM
T
Name:  catsifter.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  13.9 KBName:  screen.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  20.1 KB
interesting enough I have not had a lot of problems with material getting stuck between the two sheets. so how would I find out what hole size my prototype mesh is(the two 1/4'' screens stuck together offset it both directions)?

Old 10-13-14, 02:15 PM
T
so I just thought of how to explain how two pieces of 1/4'' mesh overlapped make 1/8'' squares.
one piece of 1/4'' mesh has 4 squares per in so if you add two extra small squares per one of the 1/4'' squares you will have 1//8'' mesh. or very close to that.

Old 10-19-14, 06:35 PM
B
Forget about soldering. Yes to brazing if the structure that holds your wire round is designed for brazing. Yes to MIG welding-probably the best here. And of course you will have to watch out for galvanized fumes.....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: