Inexpensive way to put 25' pipe back together for antenna tower?

Old 03-23-16, 11:09 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Inexpensive way to put 25' pipe back together for antenna tower?

Hi All,

Not quite sure where to post this, but it is sort of metalworking. Please let me know if there is a more appropriate part of the forum.

I have a 25' length of 1 1/2" steel pipe that was originally set up as an antenna tower when I bought my house. I took it down years ago, and in the process cut it into 16' and 9' pieces. Well, I've recently decided to cut the cable cord and would like to put it up again.

My idea was to just get a length of pipe that would fit fairly snugly inside the halves and then put a couple bolts through each half and the inner pipe to hold it all together.

I tried 1" pipe and it seems a bit too loose. I haven't tried a piece of 1 1/4" pipe yet, but the size charts I've found on the internet make me think it's going to be a little too big to fit inside.

Of course, I'm trying to do this on the cheap. I thought of threading the ends and using a threaded coupling, but I don't have the tools and I can't imagine the tools to thread a 1 1/2" pipe are cheap. Also, I don't have a way to transport the pipe.

Thanks very much, any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Old 03-23-16, 11:42 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Any neighbors have a welder?

Old 03-23-16, 12:39 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
You can rent a ratchet pipe threader and die at most tool rental places. I don't off hand know the cost but would probably be around $20.

Old 03-24-16, 07:01 AM
L
That's a great idea - I'm going to look into that. Thanks much!

Old 03-24-16, 07:23 AM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
You didn't mention what type of pipe it is. If it is a thin walled pipe like EMT, or used for fencing, it might not have a thick enough wall for threading. In that case maybe look into an EMT coupling. A compression might be the best/strongest option.

Threading would be the best if it does have a thick enough wall.

Old 03-24-16, 11:05 AM
L
I can't measure it precisely, but it appears to be exactly the same as the black pipe they sell at Home Despot. It has a tripod that mounts sideways on the side of the house at about the 12' level, so I could put the new coupling on the lower part, below the tripod, and it would have mostly downward pressure on it.

My local rentall lost their 1 1/2" threading tool, so I'm still looking for another place to rent that.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: