Unbend piece of steel


Old 10-11-17, 03:43 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 16
Unbend piece of steel

I have a very old bike.

The only problem is that the head has been bent by a shock.

I'm wondering what would be the least suicidal approach to try to straighten it back without breaking it.

Should I just try to hit it with a sledge hammer or should I try a slow solution like stick it into some corner and bend it, should I heat it up,...

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-17, 03:51 AM
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: North East Kingdom of Vermont
Posts: 2,310
I think you should be able to find a Welder or a Blacksmith who can heat the handlebar up and bend it to where the two sides are even.

Maybe that Bike dates back to a time when people had arms of different lengths and they had to make bicycles to fit their asymmetric bodies ?
Old 10-11-17, 03:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 43,370
I'd apply heat and then bend it. Just beating on it is apt to break/crack the steel.
Old 10-11-17, 05:05 AM
Group Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 17,342
You can also replace the quill stem. There is a large selection less than $15.

Old 10-11-17, 05:12 AM
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 4,094
I'd be removing the bolt to see if it's what's bent, and just replace it if it is.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes