Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Century welder motor replacement

OH

11-25-17, 01:59 PM   #1 (permalink)  
Century welder motor replacement

My Century 200 Welder #83160 has been trouble free until yesterday when I turned it on. The cooling fan motor went from a screech to just a buzz sound. and now the motor just buzzes. I have the side and back off to look at replacing options. The easy way looks like to just remove the plastic fan, and I have removed the metal clip that holds it on the shaft, but i do not have a puller that will fit properly between the fan blades. Is there a proper way to remove this fan, or should I take everything out, looking like a major proposition?

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NJ

11-25-17, 02:57 PM   #2 (permalink)  
I usually just try and wedge something in between the back of the blade body and the motor. The fan needs to be slid off evenly or it will crack. The good news is the fan is only $10..... the bad news is the motor is $90. If the fan breaks during removal...order a new one.

Name:  motor.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  23.1 KB

~ Pete ~

OH

11-25-17, 03:16 PM   #3 (permalink)  
Century Welder Motor Replacement

Do you have source you like for the motor and perhaps a part number?

Group Moderator

NJ

11-25-17, 04:44 PM   #4 (permalink)  
Looks like you can buy right from Century direct. They show two motors. In the link below I'm fairly certain is the one you need. Much less then the other motor.

216-082-000 Fan Motor With Leads 240 Volt

The other motor model is a new number..... supersedes all the old numbers.... 16-099-666. Almost twice the cost of this one.

~ Pete ~

OH

11-26-17, 04:44 PM   #5 (permalink)  
Century welder mower replacement

Pete, is there a safe way to test the motor I have before I pull the trigger on a new one? There also appears to be a capacitor in the hot line to the motor, Can I test this also?

Group Moderator

NJ

11-26-17, 05:35 PM   #6 (permalink)  
What are you going to test for ?

You said it buzzes so electrically it's ok.
I assumed the motor is bound up from bad bearings.

Is the cap across the power lines or in series with one of the lines ?
If it's across both.... it may be some type of filter.

~ Pete ~

OH

11-26-17, 07:09 PM   #7 (permalink)  

It appears that the device I assume is a capacitor has both power lines going thru it and then to the motor. The motor spins freely by hand, that is why I want to test it. This device was bolted to the side of the box that supports the fan.

Group Moderator

NJ

11-26-17, 07:33 PM   #8 (permalink)  
That could be some type of noise arrestor or filter. It wouldn't cause a problem.
So then if spins free.... maybe it is electrically bad. You can check the two fan wires with an ohmmeter to see if the windings are opened.

~ Pete ~

OH

11-26-17, 08:18 PM   #9 (permalink)  
Century welder mower replacement

Im showing 25 ohms resistance on the meter at RX1 Showing 6 on RX1K I'm thinking this might be normal?

Group Moderator

NJ

11-26-17, 08:42 PM   #10 (permalink)  
I would think that is normal too.

Sometimes with those motors they spin free but get stiff when powered on.
See if that's the case.

~ Pete ~

OH

11-27-17, 10:04 AM   #11 (permalink)  
I have to hook everything back up give me a day...and Ill be back to you

OH

11-29-17, 08:56 AM   #12 (permalink)  

I put everything back together and with the sides and back off, I could plainly see and hear everything happening with the fan motor. It was as you described, the motor would run until it got warm and then the bearings would start to tie up and it went to a buzz. I called a supplier I use in Texas, and we walked thru voltages back from there and everything checked out, so a new motor (and fan) are on the way to me. Thanks for your help!

OH

12-07-17, 08:57 AM   #13 (permalink)  
Century Welder motor replacement

The motor and fan arrived yesterday, and I tried one more time to yank the fan off the motor while in place in the welder, but I could only move it out a quarter inch or so. So I removed the fan cage one more time, and thought I might try the wedge trick but there was too much distance to get a wedge between the fan and the motor. I COULD get a long flat punch down along side the motor output shaft against the inside of the fan blade to tap on it. I worked my way around it that way and slowly moved it off the shaft without breaking it. It is now back together with new motor and shaft and working perfectly. I thought I would share that fan removal process to help someone else along the way that might run into this.

Bill

Group Moderator

NJ

12-07-17, 09:22 AM   #14 (permalink)  
Good job. Thanks for adding the removal info.

~ Pete ~

Search this Thread