Help Needed Metalworking Question

Old 08-04-18, 09:18 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: ny
Posts: 75
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help Needed Metalworking Question

Hello All,

I'm working on 18 ga. sheet metal project where a stamped recess in the sheet metal has become distorted and flattened (no recess). I would like to know how I can restore the recess back into the sheet metal. The recess dimensions are approximately 1 1/8" x 1 1/4". I've attached photos showing the damaged flattened recess and an undamaged recess. Any help is appreciated.

thank you

Attached Images    
Old 08-04-18, 03:30 PM
Group Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 28,140
Received 2,263 Upvotes on 2,016 Posts
It looks like the material has been worked and stretched. The problem is the more hammering or bending you do the more it stretches the metal and makes it curl like a potato chip. There are metal shrinking tools but it's best to avoid the situation in the first place since it's difficult to remove.
Old 08-05-18, 03:56 AM
Marq1's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: USA MI
Posts: 9,745
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
You would need to make a frame of heavy steel around the perimeter then using a hammer and metal block force the metal down.

Not to difficult to do but making the tools to form will take more time than the repair.
Old 08-05-18, 03:59 PM
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Ct.,USA
Posts: 3,329
Received 314 Upvotes on 277 Posts
Many solutions depending on how much one wants to spend. What function does the recess area perform that you are trying to straighten out the sheet metal distorted by heat and pressure?

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: