Choosing a welder, Pedal or Arc control?

Old 05-01-20, 04:09 AM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Choosing a welder, Pedal or Arc control?

Hello,

I would like to buy a cheap AC/DC Tig welder for my nephew to start practicing.
I am set on buying a Stahlwerk welder, as based on my research their devices, despite being made in China, go through better quality control and have 7 years warranty and good customer service.

Now I need to decide between two models, the "Pulse D":
https://www.stahlwerk-schweissgeraet...se-D-IGBTshtml

Or the "Pulse ST":
https://www.stahlwerk-schweissgeraet...SE-ST-IGBThtml

The differences between the machines are:
Pulse D is newer design, has more functions:
- AC sine wave, gas flow, and arc width/shape are all adjustable
- It has memory for 10 setups
- it has Spot welding function (which is important to make lithium Ion batteries).

BUT it doesn't have pedal support, and it won't be added for at least a couple of years.

I would love to buy him a model he can grow into with advanced features, but I also know pedal control is very beneficial to use and learn.

I would appreciate your input.
Thanks!

Old 05-01-20, 04:15 AM
Received 1,057 Upvotes on 959 Posts
So the only question, what is he planning to weld that a TIG is needed vs a MIG?

I have both, but in general the MIG is my primary welder, the TIG is used for body work where I can produce smaller, cleaner welds.

My TIG has thumb control so that is what I learned with and have never used foot control. The foot control is good as long as your doing bench welding, try crawling in or under a body and that foot control is useless!

Old 05-01-20, 04:21 AM
B
Good points.

I know he is currently interested in thin sheet metal fabrication, both stainless and aluminum.
But he has plans to move to more exotic materials in the future, and wants to learn the technique and produce good welds.

The thumb control connects to the same plug where a pedal would go, doesn't it?
So it doesn't really solve the problem? Am I wrong?

Old 05-01-20, 07:22 AM
Received 1,057 Upvotes on 959 Posts
The more "exotic" and thinner the metals the more that would lean toward TIG, MIG is really good for medium to heavy ferrous metals. It can weld the others but not as neatly!

Yes, same port for hand or foot pedal connection!

Old 05-01-20, 10:03 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,707 Upvotes on 1,525 Posts
Has your nephew taken a welding class? That would be my first recommendation. There he will learn about different welders and techniques and will then be able to better know what equipment he needs for his type of work.

If just buying someone a welder to play with I'd get a MIG. I have MIG, TIG, plasma & oxy acetylene and the MIG gets the most use by far.

Old 05-01-20, 12:53 PM
B
Marq1 , Pilot Dane
He has taken a welding course and used the school's TIG machine.

I will rephrase in case it wasn't clear from original post:
My question is NOT about whether to buy MIG or TIG.
My question IS: "which of the two models would be better for a beginner looking to start out making a living as welder. the Stahlwerk Pulse D, or the Stahlwerk Pulse ST?"
The first one offers advanced arc control without pedal (or thumb) control, the second is missing few of the features, but has pedal (or thumb) control.

I have narrowed it down to these two models only, I'm not interested in other processes, or other models.
I hope it is clear now.
Thank you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: